The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We used and now own the FD250 in Canola, Lentils, Wheat and Durum in 2020. We ran it beside a fd145. We have two machines and will be running the FD250 and a FD245 this year til I am able to get another FD250. I’ll go over review of my experience

Knife:

First impression when I saw header was why did they change knife. I didn’t think it was problem. But when we started lentils it was very evident why it was changed. The cut was much closer and cleaner even at higher speeds. The Fd2 would cut way better at 6mph then the Fd1 at 4mph. The reps were even surprised as they checked the Fd1 to see if knife speed was off but it wasn’t.

Increased frame flex

At first I was sceptical of being able to cut lentils with 50ft on our rolling land. But with the increased flex it did exceptionally well. The wider Center section makes it contour extremely well. Following better than the 45ft. Cutting as good if not better then the 40ft that we had previous.

Triple reel

Really impressed with triple reel. Being able to maintain a closer cutterbar relationship helps a lot especially in lentils. The vision without having bar in middle is real nice. Anyone that came for a ride always made the comment how nice that was. Seemed to feed nicer to. I think it will be a worthwhile investment even on 40ft header.

Feeding

Feeding issue at certain times has been fixed. Most think it was the drum but it wasn’t. The 50” Draper decks is the key. Problem was the grain being pushed to far back causing the drum to work twice as hard pulling material down and under drum. Now it falls on Center Draper and straight under auger. We were feeding in 4ft durum and not issue and also no issues in canola.

Contour Max

These are a must have. They work considerably better than the contour buddy’s on FD1. The hydraulic adjustability is awesome. Being permanently mounted and not having to remove is great. For us it would be impossible to run 50ft without them.

Transport

The transport is much improved. Much easier and quicker to use. Much easier to lift than the Fd1.

Machine Integration

The new machine integration is nice enabling us to use every function of the header out of our machine display on our 8700’s. No extra boxes or controls in cab.

Ease of Adjustment

The new way to set wing balance and adapter spring tension has been simplified. It’s takes the guesswork out of it.

This was a great experience with the people at macdon as we learned a lot. I can’t seem to think of any negatives on this header. Every one of my guys that ran it said when can we get another one for the other combine. This header is much improved and a must for the next generation large combines.
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Asphalt Land lot
Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
We used and now own the FD250 in Canola, Lentils, Wheat and Durum in 2020. We ran it beside a fd145. We have two machines and will be running the FD250 and a FD245 this year til I am able to get another FD250. I’ll go over review of my experience

Knife:

First impression when I saw header was why did they change knife. I didn’t think it was problem. But when we started lentils it was very evident why it was changed. The cut was much closer and cleaner even at higher speeds. The Fd2 would cut way better at 6mph then the Fd1 at 4mph. The reps were even surprised as they checked the Fd1 to see if knife speed was off but it wasn’t.
Sounds like you have the plugfree guards?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. We have standard pointed guards. We have a fair bit of rocks and was advised that they work better in stony conditions

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Interesting, plug free can cut slightly lower and is very easy to change sections, no guard removal.
I went plugfree.

Everything else I completely agree with your evaluation.

Where are these comparatively good crops?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The crops were good in 2020. A little bit less straw than average but we had fields with big straw where we caught extra rain. Won’t be much straw this year. Wheat was 65-70, Durum 60-70, Canola was 50. But header performed flawless. Don’t recall even using reverser once. With the 50ft I found I was able to keep the 8700 more consistently loaded. Plus in lentils when combine is not limiting factor I was able to cut 25-35 more acres a day vs the 45ft.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Crops are poor this year. Especially from what we’re used to. Lentils were still decent. Canola is going to be poor. Hoping for 20-25. Wheat and Durum looks ok. We just finished 850 acres of red lentils averaged 26. They were short. But the Fd2 shaved ground excellent. We were in some sharp rolling hills by Qu’appelle valley and was amazed at how 50ft followed ground. In my mind I thought this shouldn’t be able to cut like this. But it does. We’re the ones in the Macdon videos. Combine with the one on the side.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Crops are poor this year. Especially from what we’re used to. Lentils were still decent. Canola is going to be poor. Hoping for 20-25. Wheat and Durum looks ok. We just finished 850 acres of red lentils averaged 26. They were short. But the Fd2 shaved ground excellent. We we in some sharp rolling hills by Qu’appelle valley and was amazed at how 50ft followed ground. In my mind I thought this shouldn’t be able to cut like this. But it does. We’re the ones in the Macdon videos. Combine with the one on the side.
Was just checking those vids out and that crossed my mind it was yours.

Poor crops are a general theme, virtually everyone in NA has been hit with this heat and little water.
Only peas done here so far, less than 1/2 of normal. Small seed but like hauling cement for density.
More peas and fried up barley in the week ahead.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree with your review. Very Impressive header.
Macdon took a great header and made it better.
We ran one beside our FD145.
The knife on our FD145 plugged a few times on green stem red lentils. The plug free knife on the FD2 kept right on trucking.
This new header is on my bucket list.

Always wanted to try a 50 footer. Although it gets more done in the field in a day, 50 foot is just too big for us to move around when we road with headers on. Some road signs, railway crossings, yards with trees hanging close to roads was just too tight when moving with the 50 footer.
45 foot just fits better in my country.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Always wanted to try a 50 footer. Although it gets more done in the field in a day, 50 foot is just too big for us to move around when we road with headers on. Some road signs, railway crossings, yards with trees hanging close to roads was just too tight when moving with the 50 footer.
45 foot just fits better in my country.
Same reason for just 40’ in this area.
If I was running by myself I’d get a 50’ but when running with two or three other machines you just move too often and this year even worse.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I hear you guys on moving the 50ft. We are lucky enough to move it most places without removal. Still have to tow it some places. But well worth the productivity increase. These new 8000 Claas combines have huge capacity and it is real impressive how it handles 50ft with ease. Spent lots of time over 30 acres an hour last year. I have video of yield monitor showing performance but not sure how to upload.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Thanks for the review, have run macdon since the 974 was released. Everytime they make them bigger you think it won’t work “here” but they do. Have 40’ now would love to try a new fd2 40-50

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks a lot for the review! And also thanks for the links and videos in the other thread.

The integration and compatibility really suprises me. Could you go a little more into detail? Is there any difference to operating the Convio with the C-motion handle?
But the header is not totally interchangeble between combine brands... seems they paint it accordingly to match the combine :D

And can someone give price indication? I heard it's more than 1,5 times a comparable FD1 of the same size.
So is it worth the benefit?

And a last question: Does MacDon allow lifters? Claas says no on the Convio. But no matter how much flex you got, if the crop is hammered down and really flat, lifters still get way more than the best flex header imo.

br Arcus

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
The integration and compatibility really suprises me. Could you go a little more into detail? Is there any difference to operating the Convio with the C-motion handle?

And can someone give price indication? I heard it's more than 1,5 times a comparable FD1 of the same size.
So is it worth the benefit?

And a last question: Does MacDon allow lifters? Claas says no on the Convio. But no matter how much flex you got, if the crop is hammered down and really flat, lifters still get way more than the best flex header imo.

br Arcus
In Claas case the Vario plate control switch can be either MacDon header tilt or MacDon max contour wheels height control depending how you set it.
And if you flip that control switch function Claas feeder faceplate fore/aft tilt takes over, so three ways to change cutting height.
At this point only Claas and Deere have this integration kit.
Interesting what you learn reading the complete operators manual, lol!

If you setup a FD1 and a FD2 as identically as you can and you can’t (eg, 50” vs 42” Drapers, triple reel) it would NOT be a 1.5 spread, less but not greatly less.
After running both I wouldn’t want an FD1 now. Not like there’re will be a choice on new.
The lengthy list of functional improvements exceed the price spread.

Yes, lifters and lifter racks are optional and I’m guessing here but not for the plugfree knife, just the normal guards.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The 3 sections on these headers, how do the widths of each section compare between fd1 and fd2? 40 vs 50 ?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts