The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The best capacity we can get out of our 9760 in barley is fast feed accelerator and then wide wire concaves. Seems like barley gets threshed quicker and then out of the straw earlier. This was also with damp straw and 15% grain and cut standing.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
You may be better off to run it on low speed. If it's dry straw and on fast speed you may over thrash the crop before it actually gets to the rotor. You don't want to break the straw down too much. In my conditions barley is usually a bit green & damp so fast speed is usually worthwhile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depends on the volume you are shoving through the feederhouse. Too much on slow speed and you may plug or back feed. In barley I see no benifit to use low speed. May I ask why you want to?
Well it's our first year with Deere combines we do peas, canola, wheat, barley and oats, and we were told if possible to run the feed accelerator belt in low speed to increase belt life.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the reason I asked this.I opened up our field and had the feed acc. set on low,(not on purpose)I seemed to be doing a real good job.90-100bu of 20% bly.I thought it was too tough so I quit and went home.checking around the machine I noticed the speed it was set on and hence the question,I have a Kuchar feed acc. and called him and was told to leave it on low unless it starts backfeeding.I value your (the forum)opinions, so thanks.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Last year was our first year with a sts and we had a hard time setting the sieves to prevent throwing over and I was advised by several people to run the feed acc on low unless it was a plugging in really heavy crops. Running on low fixed the over loading of the sieves and cleaned up the sample. I figured that high feed acc speed would mean more capacity but that didn't work in our conditions last year (100 bu+ CPS wheat 17% mt).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts