The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I get some feed back on realistice expectations for feed accelerator belt life form other operators. My first season with S680's is wrapping up! Overall pretty happy with the machines. I am concerned about feed accelerator belt and chopper belt life. It was a tough year with lots of green and wet straw. 2 machines at about 280 hrs each, between 2 machines we have replaced (warranty)5 accel belts, 3 chopper and 3 rotor belts. I attribute most of this to feeding. When the feeder piled a wad through it damaged the rotor or chopper belt and eventually failed. Im coming from Case machines, which probibly wouldnt have done much better in these conditions, on the case plugging wasnt a big issue but time and effort to unplug a rotor, chopper or feed accel an a Deere is a B*t*h! Also any tips for capacity in tough straw?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Running the case same hrs, no belts need replacing, and snuff out rotor and engine a few times, picking green wet straw...

Would be nice if the manufacture would build a belt that does not need to be replaced over ten years... Don't think I could accept that many belts on new macherey in one season

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,957 Posts
Bloody ****. Fire the swather driver. It could surely only be beaver huts that are doing that. No way a constant continuous feed of tough crop would do that. I will admit tho, when chopping tough straw all day, the chopper belt isn't beafy enough. Could/should be heavier.

Why is **** censored?

Try again. H_ll. where iam going when I die.:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just finished blowing and washing off one of our S680s 623 hrs replaced the unloader belt the rethrasher chain (you probably want to replace that Deere used a shirt regular 60 chain on that) and the eye bolt on the cylinder broke off I think they could beef that up, but man you must have had way tougher conditions than I did with that many chopper, feed acc and rotor belts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Redtech-
Your problem is not the feed acc. belts, it is the feed accell. itself. It is not heavy/aggressive enough to handle heavy green straw. That is why Deere kept putting heavier bars on the feeder chain. We went thru the same thing with wet bluegrass windrows and heavy irrigated lodged green straw wheat. We went to PFP feed accell. and ended the problem. In the last 4 years, out of 8 machines per year, we have replaced maybe one belt. Call Mike at PFParts-he'll fix you up. BTW the other best thing you can do is put on his discharge beater speed up kit. Good luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We run variable stream 690's that come with the "rice" accelerator. We keep it in low speed(still a bit faster than a regular accel in slow). Had that accelerator in our 9870's too and in over 2500 combined hrs never blew a belt or plugged an accelerator. On the 9870's had to chage chopper belts at 800 sep hrs (chucks missing) and rotor belts at 900 hrs due to running out of tensioner adjustment.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Redtech-
Your problem is not the feed acc. belts, it is the feed accell. itself. It is not heavy/aggressive enough to handle heavy green straw. That is why Deere kept putting heavier bars on the feeder chain. We went thru the same thing with wet bluegrass windrows and heavy irrigated lodged green straw wheat. We went to PFP feed accell. and ended the problem. In the last 4 years, out of 8 machines per year, we have replaced maybe one belt. Call Mike at PFParts-he'll fix you up. BTW the other best thing you can do is put on his discharge beater speed up kit. Good luck.
That's exactly right. the first sign of problems is back feeding at the feeder chain. Next the accelerator will begin to wrap, which sounds like a "wurring" noise in the cab. If we are lucky it will spit that small lump out or plug but if we don't stop soon enough that big rope comes off that beater and the rotor grabs it, shocking both drives and sometimes even the chopper too! when I look up at the top of the feeder/beater area all the paint is worn off the top plate of the feeder housing which tells me that crop is being carried around the beater.
The first part of our harvest was some of the worst conditions I've seen, now that we are in dryer conditions it works fine. I just wanted to get a sense of what others experienced, Im not blaming any one/thing, I wont be firing operators and so on. I was just wondering...Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.