The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a perfect world it would be nice if I could deliver feed barley to the feed lots in southern Alberta with out paying a broker to take care of the details. I would like to know what they pay per bushel to the broker? for example if I get 3.00$ in my yard, what does it unload for 300 miles south of me ? even if it is only a small margine why do we need a broker to pick up a phone and organise it. our area is full of high quality feed barley mainly due to the outlandish conditions that the maltsters require now like zero this zero that and 100% germ.when we send out super bee after super bee of feed barley why do we need the warm fuzzy feeling just because the broker will be sending us a cheque. can't we trust our feed lot friends to send us a cheque?small rant but tired of being held hostage by organised grain system that involves guys who wouldn't know feed grain from a load of oranges.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Unlike various grain check-offs that are deducted automatically and you have to jump through some hoops to claw back, using a broker is your own choice - they exist because people use them. If you can go direct to enduser it is always best, but it does usually take more than one phone call. The older I get, time seems to be most valuable commodity I have so can understand why people use brokers.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
in a perfect world it would be nice if I could deliver feed barley to the feed lots in southern Alberta with out paying a broker to take care of the details. I would like to know what they pay per bushel to the broker? for example if I get 3.00$ in my yard, what does it unload for 300 miles south of me ? even if it is only a small margine why do we need a broker to pick up a phone and organise it. our area is full of high quality feed barley mainly due to the outlandish conditions that the maltsters require now like zero this zero that and 100% germ.when we send out super bee after super bee of feed barley why do we need the warm fuzzy feeling just because the broker will be sending us a cheque. can't we trust our feed lot friends to send us a cheque?small rant but tired of being held hostage by organised grain system that involves guys who wouldn't know feed grain from a load of oranges.
What's stopping you? Of course you can sell direct, I do it locally all the time. Of course you assume all the costs including delivery and a lot of risk at times. Want to know what the price is in feedlot alley, well what do you think the "Lethbridge" prices quoted are?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am not offering to Broker a deal for you. I'm looking to Buy product.

1000mt.

$4.00/Bushel CAD delivered to Saskatoon.

If you want FOB price let me know where you live and I will reply with price FOB Farm. I am also willing to pay a percentage up front.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've seen contracts lately of ~$4.50/bu picked up in the yard here heading for lethbridge. 330 miles from here. Trucking paid for by buyer. It's a little tricky sometimes to coordinate with them as they try to get you on the way back with trucks. Especially if you work off farm.

·
Registered
369 Posts

1000mt.

If you want FOB price let me know where you live and I will reply with price FOB Farm. I am also willing to pay a percentage up front.
I mean no disrespect but your out to lunch at 4 bucks. We have 4.75 picked up for June north of Edmonton.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Heard 5 dollars for sept pickup.. Thinking of growing some my self.. What is a normal yeild for barley.. Never grew it before

·
Registered
729 Posts
That is what I am talking about in other thread. Not sure what you can grow where you at, but in Central AB if you cannot grow 80bpa of feed barley there likely more than a few things wrong - 80% max ins coverage level 72. It pretty much cheapest Spring crop to grow except for oats.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That is what I am talking about in other thread. Not sure what you can grow where you at, but in Central AB if you cannot grow 80bpa of feed barley there likely more than a few things wrong - 80% max ins coverage level 72. It pretty much cheapest Spring crop to grow except for oats.
To grow a big crop of oats they need some groceries. It isn’t any cheaper to grow oats then it is feed barley for us. Our yields on barley would be 80-90 on an average year. Can get 100+ when the weather cooperates

·
Registered
3,834 Posts

1000mt.

Good luck with that! So who gets the extra buck a bushel, seeing as you aren't brokering it??? lol

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think he just hit a wrong key and meant $5.00/bu , I have heard of 4.60 at the bin in my area. OR maybe he is really hoping for a sucker!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think he just hit a wrong key and meant $5.00/bu , I have heard of 4.60 at the bin in my area. OR maybe he is really hoping for a sucker!
Ha no he even started his own thread looking for feed barley. It got 0 replies. Guess that wasn’t a good enough hint.

$4.00 delivered and under 1 ppm vomi is what he’s looking for. Pretty sure you could buy it for that at one time but that ship sailed a while ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well i see why the marketing section is so dead

WOW thanks for the cheeky remarks.

might not be a good deal for you, in the west, why wouldn't you sell your stuff near you instead of bashing me because I'm looking for product in SASKATOON?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ha no he even started his own thread looking for feed barley. It got 0 replies. Guess that wasn’t a good enough hint.

$4.00 delivered and under 1 ppm vomi is what he’s looking for. Pretty sure you could buy it for that at one time but that ship sailed a while ago.
actually Coolio, I quoted the guy and it started a whole new thread, just like this time. :poking-with-stick-s

well this time it didn't start a new thread ... :17:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just trying to tell you your not going to find it, if you do buy 10,000 tonnes. Low vomi barley has been north of 4 picked up for along time in Manitoba and we are twice as far to feedlot alley as you

·
Registered
982 Posts
I know how much 1000 metric tonnes is, was telling you you should buy 10 times that if you can find it that cheap.

Sorry if I am rude. You must be very easily offended.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts