The Combine Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Its around 5 bucks fob the farm and I'm a hour and half North of Brooks. Heard rumbles it could go up a dollar or more.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Its around 5 bucks fob the farm and I'm a hour and half North of Brooks. Heard rumbles it could go up a dollar or more.
At what price point do the feedlots start bringing in corn?

Barley is around $4 here for feed next fall.....$5 feed barley would see a lot of barley grown around this area

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Barley is around $4 here for feed next fall.....$5 feed barley would see a lot of barley grown around this area

I see 5 dollar barley about once every 5 years, **** one year it pushed 6. Think they best we seen was my Uncle getting 5.96 fob the farm. With the dollar low I would expect the corn is not as cheap as it could be

·
Registered
982 Posts

The smart people were telling us all year feed barley couldn’t rally this year because of all the cheap US corn.

Barley has gained at least a buck and so has corn in Manitoba. Have to feel sorry for end users. They only had the last 3 or 4 years to buy all the cheap feed they wanted.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Grain marketer phoned last week and was saying futures for this fall right at 4.00/bus. I said we will see what happens this year and maybe sell some after the new year at the earliest lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ya seem low to me too that's why I said I would be waiting to see how the southern AB crop turns out this year. I think maybe they were just sending out feelers to see if anyone was in need of some cash and throwing out some low ball offers ? I sold some last fall for $4.17 @ farm then sold the rest this spring for $4.81 @ farm and just missed the $5 by a few weeks lol.

I drove to Sweetgrass, MT this spring right at seeding and it seems to me anywhere south of #1 hiway was way behind and the further south the further behind ? Not sure how that will effect the price this fall but we see. Everyone I know sold all the barley they had this spring to the feedlots down south so there is no surplus as far as I know in my area.

·
Registered
729 Posts
These grain markets all look as bad as what they looked promising just over one month ago and must remember that they all move together. IE - feed barley not going to hold up too much of a premium when wheat and corn mkts do what they have done. Unfortunately, not sure now that any "drought" news going to really change this until after our harvest season so people need to have their cash needs looked after or maybe selling at these values or less. I hope I am wrong, because at the moment am long. Have bought a bit more storage with the hope that I can encourage a hail storm as we move into that season. Hail is always a good mktg alternative around here, but this year would seem to be especially so.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
This is a bad time of year to try guess what the market will do, nobody wants to take the first step to start a trend. Guys buying will try wait as long as they can to see if prices will drop as harvest approaches and guys need to free up bin space. Will kind of stay like this for a few weeks then will get bouncing around a bit before harvest. Don't get all down and out just because it hasn't made a big jump and other markets are weakening, I haven't really found any connection between barley and other crops, it seems to follow it's own path.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Corn had a terrible day today and is still $4.83 per bushel in Canadian dollars for December corn (futures price). That doesn’t work out to worthless barley by my math. What if the trade war worsens and we put a tariff on US corn? Ever been to a feed mill? All the trucks are from the states, at least in Manitoba.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts