The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the HP feeder house on our 760. Last night the feeder chain jumped a link. It looks as though one sprocket is ahead of the other three. This happened in the past and I found it a pita to get remedied. Anyone know an easy way of realigning the chain?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Not sure on your combine, but I don think there much different. Take a socket just larger than the teeth on sprocket, put it in valley of sprocket and roll feeder house in reverse, or forward depending on which way it has jumped. Should bring your chain back online !

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you have to loosen the feederhouse chain make shure you oil the threads on the adjusting bolts first. I loosened mine and it galled the threads and I had to get new bolts.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If you have to loosen the feederhouse chain make shure you oil the threads on the adjusting bolts first. I loosened mine and it galled the threads and I had to get new bolts.

Hp feeder is hydraulic tensioned.

We used a couple pieces of old broom stick cut a couple inches long. Don't have to worry about finding it after if it happens to get lost.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips.... If I'm understanding this right here's what I'll do. The left hand chain is ahead of the other three. I'll roll the chain backwards by hand while I feed the dowels into the bottom of the left sprocket. Once the dowels are in place I just start the combine and use the reverser to turn the chain forward? Do I have to block the left hand side to hold it in place?

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
4x4ord we have never had a feeder chain jump. I was wondering how you knew it jumped or what signs it showed you? Does it stop turning or just make a bunch of noise etc?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe so long as I pull the left side backward while putting the broom stick blocks in placce the chain will realign without starting the combine?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Thanks for the tips.... If I'm understanding this right here's what I'll do. The left hand chain is ahead of the other three. I'll roll the chain backwards by hand while I feed the dowels into the bottom of the left sprocket. Once the dowels are in place I just start the combine and use the reverser to turn the chain forward? Do I have to block the left hand side to hold it in place?
Shouldn't need to hold the chain with anything just put socket or dowel on left sprocket reverse feeder house and then find sprocket once it completes a revolution. ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Loosen the fitting on the hydraulic tension cylinders to let oil out to loosen chain.
With the dowel or socket you can just roll the chain around by hand. Make one revolution then remove dowel or socket.

I have done it with a socket and tied it in place to keep it there.

It's a very quick easy procedure.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Loosen the fitting on the hydraulic tension cylinders to let oil out to loosen chain.
With the dowel or socket you can just roll the chain around by hand. Make one revolution then remove dowel or socket.

I have done it with a socket and tied it in place to keep it there.

It's a very quick easy procedure.
Correct on turning combine off and letting a bit of oil out and it will move easy with no tools required. Might have to reach up the stone trap to jump a cog. Make sure you remove header and get faceplate straight and make sure it is actually crooked, the faceplate being tilted can play tricks with your eyes. A bent slat could be making the noise and nothing else wrong.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I take the aps door off then take the cover off just below it. 4 bolts(18mm and a cordless impact) and you can get at the sprockets on the top side. Then your not working over your head and having to clean out the stone trap.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm actually not 100% certain what I did but the procedure I followed was: I removed two bolts and folded the lower feeder house door down. I manually turned the feeder chain forward while I had someone feed six broken auger fingers into the left hand sprocket (the chain that I thought was too far advanced). At some point there was a bang and things appeared aligned looking at the feeder chain drum from the front. However when viewed from underneath we could see the two chains on the right were loose while the left two chains were tight. We fed the broken auger fingers through the center right chain until it again went bang and all was well. Thank for the help. It sounds like it isn't necessary to feed 6 sockets (or in my case 6 broken auger fingers into the sprocket)? Anyway it worked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts