The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at replacing both feeder chains on an R76. The front lasted about four seasons, but back only lasted about one and is already wore completely out and sprockets are shot. The reason for that is it had a lot of 15bu wheat ran through it. Is pfp plastic slat chain the best bet for a lighter chain? Or I was thinking just get the strands of chain and not putting as many old slats back on? Mainly cut wheat/milo will the plastic slat hold up? Thoughts on the pfp split sprockets? TIA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly I don't think the plastic slats will be agressive enough to feed very well. There is a new chain that is in the 9 series, I put them in this year in a r66 and never adjusted them all year. I would give them a try. No opinion on the split sprockets, I know pulling that top shaft is a pain in the arss

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I don't think the plastic slats will be agressive enough to feed very well. There is a new chain that is in the 9 series, I put them in this year in a r66 and never adjusted them all year. I would give them a try. No opinion on the split sprockets, I know pulling that top shaft is a pain in the arss
whats different about the the new chain

·
Registered
6 Posts
whats different about the the new chain
Something to do with the pins, I believe they are welded to the links and previously was riveted. Slat spacing is also somewhat different, fewer slats so more capacity and lighter. The rear of the 6 series is a link or 2 longer than the 9 series due to the lowered rear shaft so you will need 1 or 2 more sets of 1/2 links

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve had the PFP poly slat chains in for 5 or 6 seasons and are showing minimal wear. I’ve had no feeding issues, and they are super quiet. I’ll never run a different chain again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts