The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to rebuild our feeder house drive on our 9230 and looking at the Stewart steel upgrade, have any of you upgraded your feeder house with them and are you happy with the results? Did you just do the drive or the feeder chain shaft as well? TIA

·
Registered
443 Posts
I did mine last fall when I was working on the combine. I won't know how much better the new stuff wears until I pull the gearbox off again this winter. With that being said, the quality of the parts is top notch and I expect it will be a permanent solution, at least until my feeder chain drive sprockets wear out again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did mine last fall when I was working on the combine. I won't know how much better the new stuff wears until I pull the gearbox off again this winter. With that being said, the quality of the parts is top notch and I expect it will be a permanent solution, at least until my feeder chain drive sprockets wear out again.
What did the upgrade cost? Is there a pin clutch in the sprocket? Is there a grease zerk on it to grease the shaft? Just curious this has been an issue since these machines came out and if there is a fix it would be great.

·
Registered
443 Posts
What did the upgrade cost? Is there a pin clutch in the sprocket? Is there a grease zerk on it to grease the shaft? Just curious this has been an issue since these machines came out and if there is a fix it would be great.
It was $3900 Canadian. No pin clutch in the sprocket. There is a grease zerk on the shaft, there is also an o-ring to keep the grease in and the dirt out.

At this point the only drawbacks I see is the initial cost, and the fact that I am now stuck getting the replacement sprocket/shaft from them. I replaced my feeder chain at the same time though so I'm hoping to get very good life out of the system.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was $3900 Canadian. No pin clutch in the sprocket. There is a grease zerk on the shaft, there is also an o-ring to keep the grease in and the dirt out.

At this point the only drawbacks I see is the initial cost, and the fact that I am now stuck getting the replacement sprocket/shaft from them. I replaced my feeder chain at the same time though so I'm hoping to get very good life out of the system.
How many hours does it take to put the kit in? Any special tools or parts needed?

·
Registered
443 Posts
How many hours does it take to put the kit in? Any special tools or parts needed?
How many hours is going to depend on where you are starting from. I pull my feeder house off and remove the gearbox every year as part of my regular maintenance. With the gearbox off all you have to do is open it up, put in the new shaft, and close it back up again. Probably takes an hour, tops. You can certainly remove the gearbox without taking the feeder house off. Getting the drive sprocket in and out of the feeder house is the harder job. I've never done that with the feeder house on.

No special tools required, though if you haven't laser aligned and shimmed your gearbox, it would be good to do that. I borrowed the laser tool from my dealer.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the information. I would be worried about the lack of a pin clutch in the sprocket but I do like the design.
My combine didn't come with a rock trap, but I added one later, so my machine has never had the pin clutch in the chain sprocket. I understand what's likely to happen if I ever get a rock caught under the drum in the front, but its never been an issue for me. People's risk of rock damage is obviously going to be different depending on their situation though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts