The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The feeder house reverse on my 9660 STS is not working. When I pull the switch into reverse, the feeder house will continue in "forward". Is there anything I can do, or maybe something I can set properly to get the feeder house to reverse?
I swallowed a shovel while harvesting corn the other day and had one **** of a time getting it out. During the last wheat harvest, we had a lot of green stuff and the reverser could've come in handy more than once.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Check the sensor on the bottom, right-hand feederhouse shaft. There should be a wheel on the shaft with a sensor behind it. On our 9860, the wheel was loose on the shaft and caused the sensor to not pick up the speed properly. It won't shift into reverse if it thinks the shaft is still turning.

Andrew

·
Registered
778 Posts
The issue will most likely be with the internal shift mechanism in the gear case. Pull the 3-bolt cap to access the shift piston (under the feeder floor) and see if the center bolt in the piston is tight. There was also an update that added the drain line from the piston cap back to the hydraulic tank in case of piston leakage. The main symptom of piston leakage is exactly what you are describing. The oil on the back side of the piston prevents shifting. You should replace the piston and either do the drain update or simply cut a groove in the cap to relieve pressure. I personally don't like the drain line update because you never know if the piston is leaking.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Greentech is right about your issue. We simply drilled a hole in the 3-bolt cap and threaded it with a tap and die kit. We installed a breather in the hole and problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts