The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. On a 1999 2388 w/o rock trap, the feeder reverser starter usually does not engage with the teeth on the sprocket. The starter attempts to but sings along side the flywheel like it is set too close. When it does engage, the starter won't retract until after a few minutes of running again. How do I adjust the clearance between the starter and flywheel or do I have a starter problem? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I Have seen this problem before. The drive end on the starter motor needs replaced. Look closely and you can see the bevel worn off the end of the teeth on the drive

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look closer but it appeared to show very little wear with the bevel still there. So no adjustment is possible I take it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
todd6446 is right the starter drive is your problem. they usually fill up with dust and then they are garbage. if you take a screwdriver you should be able to make the starter drive ratchet on the shaft in one direction and lock up and turn the shaft in the other direction. also if you have run the reverser for too long like this you may have to turn the ring gear around so that your new drive will work right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts