The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the front feederchain on my recently purchased R62. When I first started putting it on I had it going backwards. Its a really easy job to do and only took me a half hour counting putting it on wrong in the first place. Sped it up and added some music to it. Turn down the volume if ya dont like Colt Ford.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sprockets were in good shape surprisingly. Turned on the seperator and she ran real quiet. I was dreading removing the feederhouse to replace the sprockets.

·
Ken Adams
1,350 Posts
I have limited Gleaner experience (2nd year running a Gleaner) and do realize they have larger and better sprockets, but my history with IH and caseIh, I would never, ever put a new chain on used sprockets, on the red combines!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sprockets were in good shape surprisingly. Turned on the seperator and she ran real quiet. I was dreading removing the feederhouse to replace the sprockets.
Pulling the feeder house really isn't hard to do on these things as long as you have a loader tractor, forklift or something similar.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the second time we've replaced a feederchain without replacing the sprockets, if the dealer didn't recommend it we didn't feel like spending money for no apparent reason. Hasnt burned me on the first machine but Ill get to find out if I made the wrong move soon enough.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't remove the feederhouse to replace sprockets on a Gleaner. Remove the right side drive tire and push the shaft out the right side. Any quicker ?? maybe and maybe not, but I never deal with the R&R of the throat.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Here is what we find in our area. Sprockets wear about twice the speed of chains. We determine wear of 3 strand chain by measuring from slat to slat skiping one. 19.5" is new and 20.5" is very worn. I will replace only sprockets with can in 20" range. This same dimention is good for the early 4 strand chains as well. Nice things about S series is rear sprockets and shaft slip out as assembly easily. When setting the sprockets be sure to put enough loctite in setscrew holes so it pushes out between shaft and sprockets. Of course if I have shaft out for any reason I will put new sprockets on if questionable at all. Trouble with sprockets is the diameter the chain runs on wears so the chain only pulls one one or two links depending how wore the spocket is. You know you want to pull evenly on as many teeth as possible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts