The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than installing the non-variable feeder drive, does anyone know how to eliminate the "howl" coming from the variable speed
feeder, when set at low rpm on the Deere 60 and 70 series combines.

I've tried various things, next I'm going to try eliminating the oil
cooler under the feeder house.

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try adjusting the idler that is located on the feederhouse. I call it an idler, its the one mounted inbetween the belt on the feederhouse. We have adjusted ours so that it doesnt touch the belt, only contacts the belt if it really starts to jump, that seemed to fix our howl or whine coming from the feederhouse.

It depends on what noise you are talking about, if its coming from behind the cab it could be other things, our noise was a high pitched noise at high idle coming from the feederhouse. Tried all sorts of things and it wound up being the noise from the belt running on the idler.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Unless you tear the reverser off of it, there will always be some noise coming from the FH. Go take a look at the parts page of the reverser - there are a ton of meshing gears in there and as deep as the variable belts are cogged, it's hard not to get some resonance.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The idler is there to help properly tension the posi-torq drive by keeping the proper tension on the belt. If the belt is slapping then the lower variable sheave and cams are taking a beating.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The only noise i ever noticed from the feeder house in a 70 was when the bearing was going out on the back left side of the feeder house...had about 3 or 4 machines do this

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. This is a 2008 9770 with 75 hours. I noticed that if I raised the backshaft speed up to 510 from 490 the noise was quite a bit less so I dropped the idler, pushed the rear pulley assembly back which gave me a wider gap on the lower sheaves which raised the speed from 490 to 510. It's still a little noisy but nothing like it was.
I don't have the 5 speed feeder drive, when I said I was going to eliminate the cooler what I should have said was I was going to
join the pressure and return hoses and cap the fittings at the cooler.
MS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts