The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about the MT 900 series Challengers (asked questions in an earlier post today), I was looking at information on the Fendt 1050 Vario. Is this tractor able to get the power to the ground for heavy tillage? Are these tractors reliable? I am not in need of something that big, but am curious about them. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look up mike mitchell on youtube. He uses it on a protill. He tried using it to pull a bourgault drill and ended up parking it and hooking a quadtrac onto it instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are looking for something to do heavy tillage consider a Versatile. Simple, effective and if you buy new you can save yourself a lot of cash

·
Registered
52 Posts
On the subject I see Mike has put a set of big triples on his 1050. If he doesn't break a half shaft or loose the outer 2 wheels I'll be amazed. Perhaps I'm wrong but I get the impression in his last few videos that he's getting tired or bored with Fendt.
European tractors tend to be rated on pto HP not drawbar HP.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think he's got power there for a 66' drill and 800 cart and is trying to pull 84' and 1300 bu. cart which is enough load for a 700 hp. tractor not 500.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think it depends on what your doing with it, personally I don't think they are heavy enough to get the traction. I ran a 1046 pulling a 30 foot protil last fall. It handled it as good as the 450 versatile that was pulling it. We were breaking sod with it and going around 4 inches deep, neither were what I would call over powered. The fendt was slipping around 7% the versatile was 5%. Mind you the versatile was ballasted to around 52,000 pounds and the fendt was around 40,000. I think the fendt would have done better with more weight. They also had the tires to close together on the duals, so you couldn't air the tires down below 15 psi, if I recall right. The fendt territory rep guy was unimpressed with the set up. Technically the fendt's max ballasted weight is only permited to 50,000 pounds if you stay und 40 km\h. The faster you go they take off more weight. This one had the tire inflation system on it. They claim that with the lower tire pressure you don't need as much weight to get the traction. I think they had the wrong tire spacer or something, because the tires were two close together and would rub if you got down to low on the pressure. Over all it was a really nice machine. In a really heavy draft situation, you'd probably want a 4wd, or a tracked unit. Both will probably be quite a bit less expensive. A different dealer had a 1050 on a 10 inch 60 foot morris quantum drill with a 650 or 700 bu cart that they were demoing last spring, didn't have any problems pulling it.

I think Mikes ground pulls pretty hard. My college room mate was from that general area, and made the remark that our asphalt was about as hard as their ground. If I recall right Mike had to add a bunch of weight to the back of the John Deere RX units they were running.

On the subject I see Mike has put a set of big triples on his 1050. If he doesn't break a half shaft or loose the outer 2 wheels I'll be amazed. Perhaps I'm wrong but I get the impression in his last few videos that he's getting tired or bored with Fendt.
In looking for a bigger header for our Ideal last fall I ended up talking to the dealer who Mike was dealing with. I kind of got the impression that the feeling might be mutual.

Reactions: V8 power

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Pretty sure he had that fendt for sale all winter by the address on the ad I seen. At the price advertised might as well go get a real tractor 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts