The Combine Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Maybe mother Deere is worried Mikes 40 year old MF 760 will be more reliable than the X9?? 🤣
Mike had JD combines before the Fendt,I'm surprised Deere isn't trying a little harder to get him back behind the wheel of a green one.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
All I have to say to Mother Deere is put that thing in the field lets see what it does.
I realize it is a test machine but lets get real here.
Does John Deere build combines to harvest or not?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
When you do that many acres with that many combines you're going to encounter some annoyances when it comes to repairs. As they are nearing the end of their harvest, based on the breakdowns he's posted about, I'd say they've had a pretty successful run with these machines and they seem pretty happy with them.

Does seem a bit different to me to have shear bolts on the rotor. Sure it keeps the drives splines from shearing, which would be expensive and time-consuming to fix. But surely Fendt could monitor the rotor torque and shut it down if it exceeds a certain threshold. Case flagship machines will do that to me on occasion (usually they kill the engine first).

·
Registered
509 Posts
When you do that many acres with that many combines you're going to encounter some annoyances when it comes to repairs. As they are nearing the end of their harvest, based on the breakdowns he's posted about, I'd say they've had a pretty successful run with these machines and they seem pretty happy with them.

Does seem a bit different to me to have shear bolts on the rotor. Sure it keeps the drives splines from shearing, which would be expensive and time-consuming to fix. But surely Fendt could monitor the rotor torque and shut it down if it exceeds a certain threshold. Case flagship machines will do that to me on occasion (usually they kill the engine first).
Sad part is the Massey's never needed them either. The hydro run machines up to the 9895 just let the motor go into relief and you then you reversed the slug out. The 9500's and 9505's had spring protection on the concave because of the belt drive. But this is what happens when engineers get in a pissing contest and won't admit the way it was is better still. The 3 strand feeder chain comes to mind on the ideal 8 when Agco had been using 4 strands on the class 7's and up since like 05 or 06. The head hook up is an other...... What is/was wrong with the Gleaner set up that was used? Nothing but I guess the wheel needed to be rounder.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sad part is the Massey's never needed them either. The hydro run machines up to the 9895 just let the motor go into relief and you then you reversed the slug out. The 9500's and 9505's had spring protection on the concave because of the belt drive. But this is what happens when engineers get in a pissing contest and won't admit the way it was is better still. The 3 strand feeder chain comes to mind on the ideal 8 when Agco had been using 4 strands on the class 7's and up since like 05 or 06. The head hook up is an other...... What is/was wrong with the Gleaner set up that was used? Nothing but I guess the wheel needed to be rounder.
The my20 ideals have hydralic accumulators on the concaves so they might just need some accumulator pressure adjusting

·
Registered
377 Posts

The X9's have shear bolts on the rotors also, the demo in our area sheared one, they say it take (only, lol.) 3/4 of an hour to fix.

·
Super Moderator
4,398 Posts
Yellow 780‘s still allowed full throttle engagement, only plugged one rotor once in 12 years but all that happened was 1963 to 0 engine rpm in 2 seconds.
No other need of protection.
Shear bolts on a rotor drive an excellent sign of piss poor engineering.
New series are only idle engagement, wondered when that was going to happen.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The X9's have shear bolts on the rotors also, the demo in our area sheared one, they say it take (only, lol.) 3/4 of an hour to fix.
I get the impression that normally the Ideals also take only 3/4 of hour to replace the sheer bolts usually. Mitchell's had a hard time getting the old bolt out somehow, so it turned into a multi-hour ordeal.

Apparently the X9 demo from your area is now in my area. It (unit with tracks) was parked in my neighbor's shop yard this morning.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It was at the big potato/grain farm when we got to see it,is that your neighbor is it still at their farm? It is quite impressive although there will be some things they change i think.I would like to let Mike do a 3 day demo of that thing.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Yes that's the one. His main yard is right by Grassy Lake. The combine is there tonight. Looks like they were picking up barley swathes. The machine is all by itself in the yard today. His four combines are still out in a field somewhere. Makes me wonder if John Deere is planning to pick it up tomorrow. Would be interesting to run it in canola. Just to see how quickly it can be cleaned out. The seed companies inspect the innards with a fine-tooth comb.

One thing's for sure, I don't think the Mitchells would buy one without a thorough demo first. So next fall I would bet money they'll have one out for demoing, once Deere starts to actually sell the machines.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Those guys said if it works as good as deere says they might get three for next year.Those 30 foot barley swaths are to too small for that thing even in irrigation.As for clean out it is not quite as easy as it could be.The grain tank drains are exactly the same as the 2020 s series, the ones on the left side might be more stupid at least on the s series the one side hole can be cut bigger like we did on ours. Both troughs underneath for the tailings and clean grain can now be opened more easily( tailings trough on s series can't be opened) but you have to crawl underneath and loosen about 8 bolts for each,on the Fendt Ideal there is a over center lever for each one like the rock trap has ,there should be something like that.There is no more overshot beater in the back so that is one things less to clean.The rethrasher is now on the left side and it is not as tight anymore to get the side rotor covers off,I should say the rotor covers are huge now giving better acsess to clean the insides.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts