The Combine Forum banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Was there enough of a crop in your area Don to get a feel for how the Ideals worked you combine with?
Only ran in the same field with the Fendt 9’s one afternoon. Fired myself otherwise, simply didn’t need the help.
Wildly variable crop, most dried out and the hail on the dried out part almost completely hailed out.
But…the south end was heavier and greener when the less hail on that side of the field anyway fell making for a decent crop for this year.
As a result much of the field was a better test of headers than combines, my FD240 really shining in high speed cutting this year, the FD140’s not as proficient.

These Fendts replaced 9565’s and ran well, certainly well above in overall performance.
They did not have any chopper issues and they do a good cutting and spreading job.
They had no green lentils to cut though and chopper knives were sharp and square.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The back end of combines can be surprisingly touchy when conditions get a little tough…. You’d think the straw would have no trouble falling away from the rotors and down into the chopper even if the key components were worn.
Not wanting to derail a thread but a quick story illustrates the point how easy Mikes senario could happen……on a 2-3 year (at the time) old Claas 780 we saw chopper bridging in green straw…. After monitoring thoughts on this forum a change to new chopper hammers solved that….. and this year trying to get some severely lodged barley one morning before rain we plugged the rear of the rotors discharge area twice in 15 mins. I was aware the discharge paddles were becoming very rounded and swept back but had been getting away with it. After the second time luckily we got rained out and fixed the discharge paddle issue so all good. Both these happened on what is normally a great machine that can handle all kinds of green crap….
I imagine with mike seeming to be a very analytical character he would have thought about these basics and so maybe there is more to it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There is a change up for the chopper coming this fall, or its released now. Apparently its a baffle that changes how the straw gets in the chopper. We haven't plugged ours. The neighbor did in peas, that were green, and close to 30% moisture. Sometimes its a bad design, and sometimes the combine is telling you that you shouldn't be harvesting.

Reactions: Mags and Arcus2

·
Registered
508 Posts
What ever sweet deal AGCO and Full Line gave Mitchel to take on the Ideal's I bet they are regretting. His YouTube presence has done nothing but proved the point there is such a thing as bad press.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
On a Case combine I've plugged my spreaders plenty of times under difficult conditions and that could have led to a much worse problem, but at least I get an alarm when material starts bridging back there when the spinners stop, or if you're really quick on your toes, an alarm that the chopper is slowing down.

Regardless of any tweaks to the design to prevent the problem, Fendt needs to at least put some kind of sensor to alarm when material starts bridging at the discharge. Regardless of what the combine is telling you about conditions, the fact that this happens with little warning until it's far too late and the rotors are plugged solid is a design flaw in itself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I plugged cx8080 backend other night about an hour after I should have quit in canola, newish knives. Can’t blame combine in some situations.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
There is definitely a time to quit. When the pods aren’t being knocked off the plant is usually a good sign.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
There is a change up for the chopper coming this fall, or its released now. Apparently its a baffle that changes how the straw gets in the chopper. We haven't plugged ours. The neighbor did in peas, that were green, and close to 30% moisture. Sometimes its a bad design, and sometimes the combine is telling you that you shouldn't be harvesting.
At least they are attempting to fix the problems.
The more I watch Mike's videos the more that Fendt looks like a prototype machine and should have never been released as a production model.
With all the problems he has had most farmers wouldn't put up with that, machine would have been rejected or traded long ago.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
At least they are attempting to fix the problems.
The more I watch Mike's videos the more that Fendt looks like a prototype machine and should have never been released as a production model.
With all the problems he has had most farmers wouldn't put up with that, machine would have been rejected or traded long ago.
They have been doing a very good job at making sure the problems are addressed. If they find something on one machine somewhere in north america, that is a potential problem, it is known to all dealers and someone is out to check every machine, generally that day. Through out the harvest season each dealer is part of a conference call every morning so that everyone knows of any potential issue.

For us, it has been a better machine than the Massey it replaced. We have had 2 hours of down time from mechanical or electrical issues over 2 seasons. Better grain quality, and much easier to set. And once its set, we haven't had to make major changes during the day. Doesn't seem to matter if your in a heavy crop or in a light part of the field it saves the grain. If you got the Massey set in a light spot in the field, it would have issues in the heavy spots, and vice versa. I could go on, but I won't my blood pressure is doing good and if I start thinking about that massey it won't be.

What ever sweet deal AGCO and Full Line gave Mitchel to take on the Ideal's I bet they are regretting. His YouTube presence has done nothing but proved the point there is such a thing as bad press.
There was a AGCO rep around this fall just checking in on farmers with Ideals this fall. Had a good chat with him. I kind of got the impression that your not wrong in your statement there. I not going to say more, I could but I won't

On a Case combine I've plugged my spreaders plenty of times under difficult conditions and that could have led to a much worse problem, but at least I get an alarm when material starts bridging back there when the spinners stop, or if you're really quick on your toes, an alarm that the chopper is slowing down.

Regardless of any tweaks to the design to prevent the problem, Fendt needs to at least put some kind of sensor to alarm when material starts bridging at the discharge. Regardless of what the combine is telling you about conditions, the fact that this happens with little warning until it's far too late and the rotors are plugged solid is a design flaw in itself.
There is an alarm in the back, based on where Mike is plugging his perhaps a different location is needed for the sensor. It was a change up over winter. We have never had the issues so I don't know if it works or not.

Its still a better machine than what it replaced. You couldn't give me an Massey as a gift after running the Ideal for 2 seasons. Its actually more like a season and a half after the hail this fall. I stand by that statement. I'd buy another if we had the land and the need for two machines. The only machine I'd look at would be a Claas, based on the demos we had from Deere, New holland and Claas, and my uncles case machine, for me the two machines that are best suited to my conditions are the Ideal and Claas.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Perhaps they need to make some kind of change to the chopper that draws air so it sucks the material towards it. That could also possibly help with the dust storm that comes out of the feeder house. After dark I could not see a thing with the dust cloud in front of me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with 100% Mike has tainted the whole Fendt Ideal line of combines for years to come. How well are things really kept track of? Are they not trying to do a crazy amount of acres per combine, I was told a number but I won’t repeat it. If they are like every other large farm they will have a few good guys working but most will be come and go meat heads. Don’t forget just like CNN , Mike needs drama so people will tune in...
I don’t understand why these dealers fight for these big guys? Only to get a small commission, and to have your employees treated like **** because the farmer feels super entitled, and now we have You tube channels to **** on the product. If the dealers / companies were smart they would be fighting for the family farm that has 1-2 combines that appreciate what the dealers employees do.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I agree with 100% Mike has tainted the whole Fendt Ideal line of combines for years to come. How well are things really kept track of? Are they not trying to do a crazy amount of acres per combine, I was told a number but I won’t repeat it. If they are like every other large farm they will have a few good guys working but most will be come and go meat heads. Don’t forget just like CNN , Mike needs drama so people will tune in...
I don’t understand why these dealers fight for these big guys? Only to get a small commission, and to have your employees treated like ** because the farmer feels super entitled, and now we have You tube channels to ** on the product. If the dealers / companies were smart they would be fighting for the family farm that has 1-2 combines that appreciate what the dealers employees do.
If one farm running 7(before one burned) of these combines is enough to taint the whole line, then there is a major problem with the combine and has thus tainted itself.

Last year, they would have been pushing that 5500 to 6500 acres per combine which really isn't that crazy. With 50' heads, large fields, and large combines, they should be able to push 22 to 25 acres per separator hour. That's only 250 to 300 separator hours per combine. He also states they are leased, so they aren't going to be able to push crazy hours on them. I knew of a farm that was pushing 6500 acres through a JD 9870, so really not that out of line.

By his videos, they have specific people in specific combines. The owner/operators and a few long time hired guys do the combining. So those "meat heads" wouldn't be there long if they did that much damage to combines.

Every farmer should feel entitled. We pay huge money to run these pieces of equipment that are absolutely plastered with advertising. We don't give it a second thought and often even wear it as a badge of honour that we'll defend with our lives just because something is painted green, or blue, or red.

Edit: Fixed 2 spelling mistakes and fixed "and are often" to "and often"

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
So let me get this straight. If a popular, large farmer, with a large audience has lots of issues with a bunch of machines the dealer should not got to bad for him? The dealer should be going to bat for all their customers. If the dealer's getting screwed, it's by fendt not Mike Mitchell. Overall I think he really likes the machines. Like all machines, they have good and bad points, and some things wear thin over time.

As to the rest of your comment, you're way off base, @Millie. Mike has done nothing but treat Full Line's employees with the greatest respect and gratitude. I've never heard him badmouth the sales or service guys from any dealership he deals with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well I feel bad, the way I worded things did not get my point across in my intended meaning, and I apologize for that. I was told a larger acre number per combine by a salesman that should know, but it doesn’t really matter.
I did not mean to make it sound like Mike was or is treating the Full Line staff crappie, and I apologize. My opinion on that is based off some of the dealership staff I deal with of various dealers and not about Mike but other very large farmers in my area. There are some bad enough that certain dealers are pricing things high just to loose the sale. But I should not judge everyone the same, my bad.
Employee wise, if Mike can maintain a good crew of 10-15 I am guessing he must be one hell of a guy, and the labour market must be way different in Swift than around here. Here crack heads and hutts ( some are super good but some are ...) are the big farmers go to for employees. When guys talk on here about firing workers for not so big things I just think to myself they must have a lot different labour force in their area. All our ex farmers are getting too old. So I hope I corrected myself enough, I did not want to delete my comment but correct it and own it.
I still do think it was a bad decision of AGCO to put out a new combine platform with a guy that has a large online presence. But hey he had the money and was willing. This wasn’t just a new model, it’s 100% different than what they had before, I think everyone could see having issues. Just like the switch from Case 2588-8010 Deere 9770- S series New Holland Tr-Cr, all brands have growing pains when introducing a new platform, new models not so much. I think a lot of it is that the companies cannot get enough testing hours in Canada, by the time the prototypes get up here we are pretty much done. Even if they run them all season here they just don’t get the window to do the acres they need to find the issues.Western Canada has a totally different set of harvesting issues than the rest of the world, we have had a lot of ugliness in the last 10 years.
I do think the Fendt will be a good combine, all the combine Tec’s are impressed with Fendt. If there is a issue they find a solution for it and update all Fendts with it, growing pains. The next model will probably be rock solid like the Fendt tractors. But if a guy buys one you will need thick skin because everyone will tell you about what they saw on you tube.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wouldn’t you think AGCO should’ve maybe tested this combine a while longer before releasing it as early as they did while kicking Massey guys in the nuts like they did? The Ideal is still a cool enough machine with lots of promise but if they don’t get it right they’ll be a fifth wheel like usual. It must be tough to be an agco fan and not succumb to taking on the mantra of an abuse victim apologizing to people for their partners abusive actions to them. AGCO makes some good stuff but you’re almost afraid to own any for fear they’ll will mothball your brand at a whim.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts