The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how these combines have worked out. I would like to here from owners not some guy that knows a guy that knows a guy etc.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'd buy another one if I had the need for two combines. Love it so far, it makes the Massey 95x5 series combines look silly. I'll make a complete review in a week or so when things slow down and I have more time. But other than a few electrical sensor problems there hasn't been any mechanical issues with the combine. Capacity is great, grain quality is great, serviceability is good, fuel and def consumption is better than expected, losses are exceptionally low, Its a very good machine.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Who said their not paying out????
Makes you wonder though why these things don’t have automatic fire suppression considering what they are worth.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,864 Posts
Is it just me or does this guy love the sound of his own voice?

never seen an Ideal up close yet but gee it looks like a lot of drives all over it

·
Registered
61 Posts
None of the manufactures fit fire suppression equipment. Given the number of places a fire can start on a combine it would be very hard to install any kind of system that would actually work. As Mike pointed out in his video it was the plastic diesel tank letting go that sealed that combines outcome.
I had a severe enough fire in a self propelled machine myself this year but fortunately for me it has a steel diesel tank and once I got the fire out I could see the tank had taken the brunt of the fire but apart from burnt and blistered paint that tank is fine. Had it been a plastic tank my machine was gone up in a fireball as well.
A JD combine not to far from me went up last year and it was the plastic tank was what finished it. The initial fire was small enough and was caused by a burst hyd hose spraying oil onto the turbo. The fire was almost put out when they heard the glug glug sound of diesel starting to flow from a melt point and within 15 mins the combine was gone. The header was all they could save.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Is it just me or does this guy love the sound of his own voice?

never seen an Ideal up close yet but gee it looks like a lot of drives all over it
The x9 is also a very complicated machine with belts and pulleys and shields several layers deep. The simplest machine was current massey rotary. Case flagship machines are also extremely simple mechanically. 3 belts on the whole combine, 4 if you include the engine fan.

As for Mike, I was very impressed with how he handled the fire and kept his cool and didn't yell at his employees. All in all, very professional and his humor was appreciated by his associates.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Drive layout of the ideal. Header drive variator not really required for a draper head. Auger sweep hydraulic shut doors is a simple design compared to multiple clutches. Rotor drive belt is massive but the long rotors remove any beaters/internal choppers. Top rotor pully runs a through shaft across to the RHS chopper drive belt. Rotor variator pully runs both rotor gearboxes then a belt that runs all the way down RHS to front feeder pully (matched feeder/rotor rpm ratio). Cleaning fan is hydraulic with a belt drive. Case / CR mix with very long rotors really.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks like I'm talking to myself here ha but here's a comparison between the area between the rotor box and fuel tank that fills with chaff on a ideal 9 with the big 1500l tank. Second photo is exact same spot with only the 1250l tank. Obviously Mike's had a seal let go but the extended tank might have caused the end results.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Wow that is quite the difference. I know on ours, once we realized how much stuff was in there we'd blow it out at the end of the day. Takes 10 minutes to blow that out, down the sides and the and around feeder house. I was wondering where the took the 250l out of that tank. I wonder how much it would take to swap out tanks. We could probably run for two and a quarter days on 1500l of fuel. I can see the attraction to have the bigger tank if you weren't back to your yard every night.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,864 Posts
Where are you located foxwell?

·
Registered
105 Posts
SA eyre peninsula, Ramsey bros are case/agco dealer they sold us one here in Cleve and another in Cummins. Ours was delayed arriving so are using last yrs 9t demo

1 - 20 of 51 Posts