The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we’ve ran Deere loader tractors for ever and had really good luck . But my 7730 is going to get the second drop in engine in 5800 hrs ...... the first drop in lasted 1500 hrs . Both engines delaminate a piston then the pieces fly out bending valves etc ...... I’m not overly impressed how this engine runs anyway but then this happens it’s got me looking at a fendt. I also don’t like the transmission ( power quad) ..., i can’t stand pissing around shifting ranges when I know there are Ivt type transmissions out there . Anyone got any high houred fendt around ? How do you like the fendt cvt Trany ? Is the Deutz engine they use any good ?........if I buy a Deere it appears I get the same 6.8 litre engine with emissions mounted on it ........any comments are appreciated

·
Registered
339 Posts
So we’ve ran Deere loader tractors for ever and had really good luck . But my 7730 is going to get the second drop in engine in 5800 hrs ...... the first drop in lasted 1500 hrs . Both engines delaminate a piston then the pieces fly out bending valves etc ...... I’m not overly impressed how this engine runs anyway but then this happens it’s got me looking at a fendt. I also don’t like the transmission ( power quad) ..., i can’t stand pissing around shifting ranges when I know there are Ivt type transmissions out there . Anyone got any high houred fendt around ? How do you like the fendt cvt Trany ? Is the Deutz engine they use any good ?........if I buy a Deere it appears I get the same 6.8 litre engine with emissions mounted on it ........any comments are appreciated
My friend, a excellent mechanic, says if we are buying a JD we should be getting one with a “direct drive” transmission. I’ve never seen one because no one brings them in. Anyone have experience on this?

·
Registered
339 Posts
On another note a new JD electronic joystick is $3200 plus labor, a rebuilt one $1900 plus labor, a $2 o ring for your quick coupler is $42 at JD.By 1500 hours you will probably need some of these! Fendt is probably as bad?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I went by Pentagon Lacombe the other day, they have an entire row of very late modelled JD tractors, traded in presumably on Fendts, lined up by the highway. Not the first time either, lots of green underwear types trading their green and yellow for the other green, that says a lot. Lots of German and Dutch farmers around here, and they swear by the Fendts. I have very little direct experience with them, so can't say much beyond that.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
My friend, a excellent mechanic, says if we are buying a JD we should be getting one with a “direct drive” transmission. I’ve never seen one because no one brings them in. Anyone have experience on this?

Have the direct drive in a 6170r its been great for haying, loader work and feeding cows. No quite like an ivt but close you don't need to use the clutch so you can inch along with just the brake pedal. Only 2000 hrs on it so far and had to have one of the transmission case gaskets replaced cause of a leak. Other than that I've been really happy with it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I’ve had nothing to do with the late model JD’s but tried my uncles JD with the direct drive and pretty much hated it on the first impression. I couldn’t get past why on earth not an IVT.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was looking at a 722 model .....I’m with joesixpack I do not understand the concept of the direct drive .....it on the demo / rental R155? That I have .......why have a trany like that when you can have an ivt....seems like Deere is trying to make so many different models to suit everyone but can’t make a single delux one that is the Cadillac of tractors .....offering multiple models costs money to produce them and every time a new model comes out your current one is that much less ....... same as their combines ......

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
If you can stomach the price of a Fendt I am sure you would like the tractor. I have a Challenger 555E which has the Fendt CVT and it is really nice, but the controls are a bit counter-intuitive to me. Fendt controls still have too many buttons but actually make good sense once you get familiar with them.

I actually quite liked the controls on my previous CNH loader tractors and their CVT was decent, although there was some range shifting in there so not perfectly smooth. Nothing out there is gonna touch a Fendt for durability and reliability though. I know a couple that went 10K+ hours with routine maintenance and led a pretty tough life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You don’t want it trust me, it’s just a fancy power shift the ivt is way better.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
When I toured the JD tractor plant 3 yrs ago, it killed me to see brand new 7810’s being built there for Russia. That’s for sure one of the best loader tractors ever built. Simple and reliable, no electronics. We have one ourselves we have put 10,000 hrs on with nothing but normal maintenance, and know of many around just like it.

The new fendts do look nice, but what a mess of controls for a loader tractor!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I guess you actually have to run a Fendt to know the controls are much more user friendly than most anything out there...

At the price point of any tractor, 10k hours is what should be expected before major repairs. European tractors often get 1000h+/year and tend to stick around until 10k or more hours. The previous 800 series Fendts were unbeatable in reliability.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I guess you actually have to run a Fendt to know the controls are much more user friendly than most anything out there...

At the price point of any tractor, 10k hours is what should be expected before major repairs. European tractors often get 1000h+/year and tend to stick around until 10k or more hours. The previous 800 series Fendts were unbeatable in reliability.
I have looked at that row of used tractors at Pentagon. Have wondered about buying a 2000 926 Fendt, 260 HP, 13,000 hrs, good tires, clean straight tractor. Asking $79,500. Don't put many hours on any more but like the features. I have a good 2135 Ezee On loader I think could fit on. I just want a yard tractor for light loader work, pull 6 yard scraper, run HD 9' rototiller, move snow, PTO work, etc. What is owning one of these with all the electronics and high tech hydraulics going to be in the next 10-30 years? I typically have equipment that is up to 30 - 50 years old and works like day 1.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well how much more $$ is the fendt shade of green? If I ever get done drying the neighbors grain, hauling our own canola, feeding cows , rebuilding the engine in my 4450, and hauling kids to hockey I might get time to price one out lol....... I don’t think fendt uses alo loaders now ... but I don’t see a good grapple fork offered on that cargo loader... has to do round bales and load silage . They have a silage grapple but I don’t think it would work for round bales overly well ...... I’m sure the controls are descent after you spend a bit of time with them .... kind of like most other equipment now a days

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How in the **** are they allowed to still make 7810s and sell them ? That engine would not make emissions standards would it ? Dads has 18450 hrs and is still running strong .... well it’s getting tired but it has been an awesome tractor with very little in repairs ......,I can’t see them making them and selling them in Russia but I don’t know much

·
Registered
985 Posts
Was in a fendt once. Went to unload a couple grain bags on a pallet off my truck at the brother inlaws. He wasn't home and said use the tractor if I am not around. After figuring out how to start it I couldn't figure out how to make it move and finally gave up. Hooked the pallet to a chain and the tractor hitch and drove away. This took 3 min. Spent 15 to 20 min in the tractor before giving up lol.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Was in a fendt once. Went to unload a couple grain bags on a pallet off my truck at the brother inlaws. He wasn't home and said use the tractor if I am not around. After figuring out how to start it I couldn't figure out how to make it move and finally gave up. Hooked the pallet to a chain and the tractor hitch and drove away. This took 3 min. Spent 15 to 20 min in the tractor before giving up lol.
lmao like our hired hand back in 2001 when we switched to the vario tractors. (guy was 60 years old hated the tractors)
we loved the vario's for row crop. they are good transmissions and motors the first vario's would granate at 5-6k hours but the second generation was way better and we got easily 10+k hours of them.
Fendt are nice tractors if you run the tractor only by yourself but if you have different hired guys all the time it might get complicated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well a 2000 is already 18 years old, and you don't hear many complaints... That being said that series of 900s had some issues due to an undersized cooling system.

5min introduction and you should be good to go. Electronics have been in tractors for nearly 40 years now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts