The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never grown winter wheat before and was wondering how much N and phosphate do u need to put to grow a good winter wheat crop. Can u put all your nitrogen on in the fall or is a fall/spring split application the way to go? Mine is gonna be on summerfallow so hoping to get away with a lot less N

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never put your nitrogen on your winter wheat in the fall. What is your yield goal? Did you soil test?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I grew it for first time this year. I put on 100% fertility at seeding which consisted of half the N as ESN. Higher percentage of ESN better if the price is not too crazy much higher. This is the easiest way to fertilize it but Forever27 may be eluding to nutrient losses. So spring fertility may be better but I will do it my way again because it uses the machinery I have plus I am not convinced there is any disadvantage.

Number one thing I learned is you have to mitigate winter kill. Stubble is recommended. Fallow may work but odds are poorer. Let you fallow grow up a bit maybe before you spray it. Seed early. You want the stuff to be 3 or 4 leaves. Look up the window for your area and stick it in during the first part.

As far as fertility I used same as canola which is a bit more than cwrs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Number one thing I learned is you have to mitigate winter kill. Stubble is recommended. Fallow may work but odds are poorer. Let you fallow grow up a bit maybe before you spray it. Seed early. You want the stuff to be 3 or 4 leaves. Look up the window for your area and stick it in during the first part.
Winter kill seems to be our biggest concern as well.
For us CDC Buteo froze out last April/May and we ended up reseeding it with canola.

Is there a hardier variety that is less susceptible to frost compared to Buteo?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.