The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing a lot more of it this year. Is it related to direct seeding - does tillage keep it under control? I can't recall it as being as bad when we still worked the land. Or does it like wet springs?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
It seems to like wetter areas along ditches. I was thinking of starting a thread on this too, doesn't seem like chemicals do much to it.:(

Maybe someone knows of a good way to control it?

·
Registered
451 Posts
keep the deep tiller out of there!!!!!!!!!
thats the best way to carry it all over the field
a good option is too grow a canopy crop, like soybeans or canola or winter wheat,,,

round-up is useless on it,

Liberty will smoke it brown, but its not dead, it ll be back, but maybe your crop can get ahead and choke it out...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had great luck discing those spots in the fall. This bring the roots and rhizomes to the surface which will freeze and thin the patches up. You do not want to spread this around the field though as it will escalate the problem. ( think quack grass with this weed). Also acts a little like canada thistle where it reproduces way better from rhizomes and roots than it does seed. In fact it doesn't produce a seed it's a fungi based spore like klause said. Kind of a weird weed and old school. I believe if you look up the facts it has been around a long time way longer than most weeds. It likes sandy wet soil but I've seen it grow in low heavier land as well. I have tried amitrol as well as mcpa and haven't had any luck with those products.
Just my two cents not sure what else guys have tried

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
As said above glyphosate doesn't do anything.
Liberty on the other hand will control/greatly suppress horsetail. I go over the bad spots twice when spraying liberty and that seems to get them along with a well established LL canola crop. Horsetail doesn't actually have any true leaves, the entire plant is a stem.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I was at a sponsored barbeque last summer and one of the chemical reps was talking about a new product you could tank mix with Roundup to get horsetail. I think he was from Bayer but I'm not sure and I can't remember the product name... if I run into him again this year I'll check it out. I told him I had some patches we could run a local demo on last fall, but of course I never heard from him again. Preseed burnoff with Liberty sounds like a decent plan though. Just a little warning about using Liberty with Roundup as a burnoff... it works but tends to drift much worse than Roundup alone. I fried the grass up the ditch, the top of the road on the other side and a knoll on the neighbor's field, and there was barely a breeze. I was using it before emergence on a tame buckwheat field because there is nothing we can use in crop and you can only apply Cleanstart once.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've heard that noble blade in November kills it. We don't have any but neighbours do right next to the road. The one spot is prone to minor flooding.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Its said that Horsetail is commonly referred to as Mares tail, one in the same plant. I'd like to know too, how to rid fields of it as I see it getting worse as the lack of summerfallowing is not helping or at least I think that was helping to control it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.