The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regardless of whether I crop my 100 acre block I need to knock the ringing out of it, I will born after this harvest so it's a s bare s I can get it, I have disced it up last two years, about 30% is flat with no ridging.

The ridges are about 100mm tall at worst, it had old grass clumps and ph alarms clumps this year and I'm stuffed if I could get it flat, the soil is fine there is no clods, after this year all that crap should be broken down.

I'm not talking abut laser levelling etc, it's more seedbed preperation, so I can sow it correctly.

I can hire a prickle chain, how well do these work for ironing out paddocks?

I was going to order narrow points for my field span and put a set of 3 row finger harrows for it, but that's a $1,500 exercise at the cheapest?

I could work it with the combine..a bit slow....then prickle chain afterwards?

I have tried leaf harrows upside down but they fill up with dirt and clumps and make a mess...

Ant....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Old Scari with harrows? Might have to work it in a couple of times in different directions and pretty deep to start off with then shallow at the end to level it off smooth or come back with combine for final preparation. Done it on some contour banks with scari that would of been closer to 2' high and come up pretty good.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have no solution, because....

Google translate doesn't seem to be able to translate Aussie back into English. I honestly have no idea what you said, but I can't picture using a combine for leveling a field? Knock the ringing out of it sounds exciting though....

·
Registered
28 Posts

Google translate doesn't seem to be able to translate Aussie back into English. I honestly have no idea what you said, but I can't picture using a combine for leveling a field? Knock the ringing out of it sounds exciting though....
Comment of the week!!!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Ha Ha Ha

Love this!!! Exactly what I was thinking! I love reading the post from Australia , makes me wonder .... what the **** goes on down there????!!!! Nice to hear from everyone from all over the world just to see how others do things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you have it cultivated and reasonable free of grass a KB Grader board will leave it like a pool table. Just do it in summer before a rain so it doesn't blow dust.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Speed disc then prickle chain pre plant works great for us. We work on 150-200ha of this per year as a 4 year rotation to remove bog marks and renew our tram tracks, think I have some before and after pics somewhere I shall try chase up for you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Speed tiller followed by a bit of work with a land plane might be the trick. With any land planing of grading etc, make sure you work it down well and nice and deep. Also, don't try to move too much at once otherwise you can pull the drawbar off your tractor making an absolute mess.

I would have thought your shearer fieldspan would have done a good job. To level my paddocks out, I normally hit them with the speed tiller and then follow it with my Heston 2210 cultivator on the angle and maybe even a 2nd pass with the Heston.

Where abouts do you farm bigswoosher?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Land planes work great when there is no grass clumps around, it just catches and digs a groove, it's already been disced deep, soil is nice and soft, i don't have a speed disc and don't want to disturb to much more just need to knock down the ridges from combine, I tired the field span but when the soil is a bit moist it's a bulldozer, it was perfect to seed into, really spot in. I've never used the prickle chain, lots of guys have them around me and they seem to do a good job, but they been doing it for 20 years...

If I get a good burn I will take the land plane up there, but 3m wide over 70 acres is slow going....a harrow bar or prickle chain would be quicker and most cost effective. There is also a guy up the road with a collection of old plows, might see if I can hire one of them if needed.

Some before and after shots of what a prickle chain can do would be awesome!! If I gave it two passes at angles would it do the job?

CAT 24m would be ok but that's if you can keep it going? M series a nightmare for mining...we have 5 of them at work and when they all running we mark it in the celebrate success monthly sheet!

Ant...

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Ant.
A 40 ft kelly disc chain is what you need. Superb leveling/finishing
A prickle chain will not move as much dirt.
Then you`ll be ready to plant your Corn/Maize in Spring.;)

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok lynas, I see them on YouTube ...they say they hard pan but my soil is soft for nearly a foot, I will ring herdy and see if he got one....once I got this good then it will stay good and my cheap seeding rig may go ok for a bit longer...I will be pretty happy once I get this 100 acre block right...the Forrest ****s all over red wheat sown across the road...

Ant...

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
South of lake Bolac swoop, how bout you? Disc chains move a lot of dirt Ant, whereas the prickle in my soil moves just enough to level and leaves a small amount of trash layered on surface. Found it very effective on breaking down phalaris clumps.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hard to find used disc chains around but would be interested to see the job it does. I farm south of Hamilton and another block down at Macathur. Mainly livestock and some cropping for pasture renovation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Disc it up after harvest, then get yourself a full length of railway line, go across it a few times, will be perfect. broke and leveled acres of melon hole country like that and if you only have 4" to pull down will be easy. and will only take an afternoon to do 100 acres.

·
Registered
33 Posts
kB grader board will leave it as good as you will get it. We use them on our rice ground after discing. I find it does a better job than a pickle and disc chain they won't properly knock that ridge out.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
...And if all that advice doesn`t confuse you, Ant, then nothing will!;)

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope Lynas, I'm all over it, will see if I can get the hire guy down and see if the prickle chain will do the job, I'm not keen on grader board as its slightly undulating, just got to knock this final bit out and she's good. Will investigate growing arrowleaf clover on this block next year...maybe....not 100% sure...have some guys to catch up too see if I can buddy up with someone....

Thanks all....

Ant....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts