The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filler plates for a 9650 walker we run avg of 1000 acres of corn threw it
are plates worth the hassle ? I hear they can easily become unbalanced because of dirt . I thought they might help in cron it seems that we have to run the concave really tight too get it off the ear(M 16% & less ) that we dont walk it out the back .probably grind a little more than we have too . we usally put in concave inserts that helps but cracks a little .
thanks

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
My little teasopoon of knowledge says if your combine is mostly for corn, filler plates are a good way to prevent grinding cobs. Interesting point about dirt, can't say? Seems like it makes sense that the concave would be run tight, grinding it to separate since the cobs can pass through the spaces rather than getting squeezed along the concave. I'm sure you'll get other posts to back me up or prove me wrong. Are you getting docked for trash or fines when you sell? A pain in the butt to clean again so you don't? If not, maybe it ain't worth fooling with.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Actually Kuchar plates dont balance anything but the design is superior to Deere filler plates. I bought Kuchars and they worked well and you dont need good rasp bars to do corn with his plates. I dont remember the price, wasnt cheap, dont waste your time with deere

·
Registered
341 Posts
put the filler plates in and put a hand full of golf balls in before putting last one on this will help keep the dust free on the inside of the bars and plates thus helping keep cylinder smoother.

·
Registered
530 Posts
DO NOT PUT GOLF BALLS IN THE CYLINDER, unless you want to replace your spiders. Your cylinder is and should be static balanced when you add the filler plates and or replace rasp bars. Adding golf balls to unbalance the cylinder is the last thing you need to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I quit putting my filler bars in my 9400 last year. Best thing I ever did. I can do just as good a job as before, and I've freed up a noticeable amount of horsepower.

I don't know that there's not some conditions where filler bars are needed, but until I find those conditions, mine are staying in the corner of the shop.

Adrian

·
Registered
341 Posts
did the golf ball thing many times never any problems they acctually work like floating counter balance weights too. I can guarantee one with golf balls will runs smoother than one without.

i understand the cylider should be balanced but once dirt is introduced you can throw that out the window. just like balancing a tire once you get a little mud inside the wheel it is no longer balanced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree with "smooth". Golf balls will not affect the static balance of the cylinder.
I have seen many broken spiders in my day. No more in machines with golf balls vs. machines without. On the plus side if you get rained out you can always play a few holes. (ha-ha-ha)

·
Registered
72 Posts
forget the kuchar partial fillers. You don't need any at all in corn/beans. It does not "grind cobs" or even break them.

In beans it takes enough less power you will notice it immediately.

I am not sure what they are good for.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess some think they are a hassle & consume more power
I dont get docked for excessive FM
but Ive been told they help by as many that say dont wate your time
like I said avg 1000 ac of corn 1400 beans & 4-600 of wheat

just curious anu body have a set they want to sell

·
Registered
225 Posts
The filler bars are needed if you are trying to thresh really wet corn >30% moisture; it allows you to slow the cyl. way down and tighten the clearance so you can rub the corn off without breaking the cob.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have put golf balls in many combines to make sure that the dust is knocked out of bars. i not seen anyproblem with spiders breaking out because of them. i put 2 in every slot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ontgreen, the absolout right answer. if he did do any other crops with this machine take out every other bar in the CONCAVE to make it a corn eatn' monster

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have ran golf balls for years they will keep the cyl balanced and dust will keep it unbalanced I never broke a spider

1 - 17 of 17 Posts