The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a go to filter wrench or plier or strap that you have found and been happy with for very tight oil filters? TIA

·
Registered
398 Posts
The blue handled ones with white strap from princess auto is my go to. I like it since it pulls in line it doesnt go crooked when you yank on it like the ones that go on a ratchet. When I got my combine the previous owner had massively overtightend the filters so I had to use a 3ft pipe over the end of it to get it off, and it held up.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have a big pliers style one I got from case a while back that works well. I also have a giant pair of knipex channel locks if things get to bad

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I should be adding to my filter wrench assortment ( a better strap style one for example ) but here are a couple of examples that have worked well for certain situations. The band style from Lisle with the 1/2 drive has worked very well and have reefed on that pretty good and haven't broken it yet, it only fits a certain size range though with the few adjustable holes but its good to not only remove but install filters as it won't damage the filter when using less force unlike the plier style. For normal easier removals I use some size specific Lisle band type tools with the built on handle but those will bend if one starts pulling too hard on them. The other one I used lately which was on a filter too small in diameter for the first link shown was the channel lock pliers and it actually surprised me how well it worked but those are filter denters so not something to install filters with and that size would not work on the fatter filters, never the less I figured it was a worth while tool to have in my collection. It was the model 212 I have as I had not seen the larger one where I bought mine as I would have gotten the 215 as well, or there may be some more aggressive units similar to this made by other companies also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts