The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Dad and I bought a brand new S78! Traded the 9770. Good riddance! We also went with the dynaflex also. 35'
So I'll have quite a few questions closer to harvest.
Thank you guys for all your input!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's funny how a little paint change gets the neighbors talking. Now they're wanting to crawl all over the combine and look it over and wonders how they work. Then say when you start cutting wheat let us know.
One of our neighbors even went to the dealership and crawled all over it in the shop... Haha

·
Registered
278 Posts
Best of luck with it. New machinery can be a pain and I hope they have things figured out and pre-delivered properly.

Do they offer upgraded threshing components (Sunnybrook) with an extended warranty? I heard some of our local dealers advertising this.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Curious why the color jump? Don't want to start a color war because I don't care what anyone runs and personally don't own either JD or Gleaner. Was it dealer related, price, quality, something else, or a combination? Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Make the effort to know the dynaflex header... The pressure needs to be adjusted for flex or ridgid applications.. You will have excessive wear if your pressure is wrong..

Plan on loving it... Keep an eye on it. The 7 cylinder is going to make you happy. Feels like it doesn't have any power, but never seems to run out of power.. Super smooth..
Pay close attention to the second chain. Common jumping problems.

Your close to the plant.. Parts and service will not be a problem..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious why the color jump? Don't want to start a color war because I don't care what anyone runs and personally don't own either JD or Gleaner. Was it dealer related, price, quality, something else, or a combination? Hope you enjoy it!
We switched because of our JD dealer.. They got rid of the service Manager.. he was always nice and willing to go the extra mile! But they demoted him to combine tech. They brought in this new guy (not with the dealer) that has no background in AG.... So if you have a question forget it. Really upset with the dealer for making this move.
Wasn't happy with the serviceability with the deere. too many moving parts, places I cant grease myself, so on so forth.

Our service manager from the deere dealer moved to LDI in Salina and sold us the S78! Love that you can basically grease almost everything from the ground. No switching concaves. Power fold bin ext. The reversing fan! My Dad and I are really excited about running this combine! hope its all that's cracked up to be!!! I want to eat the neighbors 7088 and s670's lunch!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Make sure it has the latest engine software, I ran mine all year without it with no complaints of lack of power, but was told it really came alive once downloaded. My new 88 was said to already have it but was double checked before it left the factory and didn't. There's also lot's of opinions on rotor set-up and I'll go ahead and give mine. I like no reverse bars with nine sweeps. Less rotor loss and more through-put, some will say differrent, but in my conditions that's what works the best. Nice looking machine you have there. Oh, that want be any problem eating there lunch, you might want to pick on the class 9's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure it has the latest engine software, I ran mine all year without it with no complaints of lack of power, but was told it really came alive once downloaded. My new 88 was said to already have it but was double checked before it left the factory and didn't. There's also lot's of opinions on rotor set-up and I'll go ahead and give mine. I like no reverse bars with nine sweeps. Less rotor loss and more through-put, some will say differrent, but in my conditions that's what works the best. Nice looking machine you have there. Oh, that want be any problem eating there lunch, you might want to pick on the class 9's.
Yeah I will sure ask about the software flash. Thanks for the input!
On the rotor I have no clue how to set it up. I run 700 wheat 300 milo, and 300 of beans. Well usually GREEN beans.... So don't know much about the gleaner rotor yet..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wish you luck with it. I know there are a few in the Minneapolis area and haven't heard too many complaints about them yet. I think there are guys on here with lots of knowledge and willing to offer advice on making it really work. I might make the jump to silver in a few years.

·
Registered
549 Posts
How do you install sweeps with no mounts. Are they putting the mounts back on.
They took the mount's off in '14, bad idea, rumor was the '15's they put them back on. Well guess what mine was a Dec. '15 build with no sweep mount's. :mad: They now claim to be going back on sometime after Jan. So like on the 78 I'm going to have to put them in at my expense, and yes you need to put them half way into the discharge to really smooth out the chopper, especially when you run in green beans in low range. I like high range in all condition's, just run rotor speed according to conditions. Usually 420-670.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the Silver Side, land of the Cleaner Gleaner. :)

LDI is a good outfit to deal with, we deal with the Colby store, and only buy parts, and still get treated extremely well.

Forget everything you knew about combines if you are from a long term Green Fleet, the Gleaner is an entirely different animal.

IDK where exactly you folks are, but if you have any terraces, I think you will be extremely pleased with the stability and gravity defying cleaning system of the Gleaner.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.