The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has been a tough fall on our cultivators. Ground conditions were perfect for compaction during harvest and having the balers and trucks running around after the combine didn't help either. Have had 3 shanks break on our wheat stubble and finding them hasn't been easy. If they snap at night it's hard to see the strip you're leaving, so come morning you go to where strip starts and it should be right there but those black painted buggers find a way to disappear in the dirt. We have an air kit on our tiller so the hose could potentially drag a shank for awhile and drop it anywhere along your pass or at the headland. Have found two of them but one is still out there laughing at us. Stressful when you know it's out there just waiting to bite into a tire. Have thought of tying every shank to the frame with cable so that if they break they dangle along until you realize it's broken. Have heard of guys painting them orange so they stand out against dirt. Any other full tillers out there have some ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How about a simple electronic circuit similar to those old Christmas lights?... Remember those?... when one light bulb was out, the whole string didn't work... If you had a series circuit with a break away plug to each shank and current running through the circuit which kept a buzzer off in the cab (use a relay, normally open to keep buzzer off)... once the series was broke (ie, shank broke and pulled the plug apart) the buzzer would sound. Granted you would have to find a plug that pulled apart easy enough when shank broke but not too easy to give you grief in field.
Anyhow, just a thought.
Or maybe glow in the dark ribbon? Tie to each shank then look close to dark? Not sure how that would work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ive been in your shoes farmerjoe, ive thought about painting my shanks, or another thought is to use electrical tape and tape on a two foot piece of reflective ribbon (like flaging material) to each shank. just a thought, anyone see a problem in this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The circuit idea would be nice cause of the instant response but as you suggest, it may be tricky to find right plug that will work in those conditions. Flag idea would help as long as tape held. Maybe use hose clamps to attach them?

·
Registered
313 Posts
We have had the same problem and found them a year later. I was thinking about using that reflective DOT tape we put on the side of semi trailers. Maybe a strip along the back that wouldn't wear off and it would have the added benefit of making the tiller really visible from the back at night. Air seeder hose along the back wouldn't bother it much either.
Just head out at night with the truck and you should see it a long way off. I doubt it would ever be totally buried.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I wouldn't think bringing a welder anywhere near a shank along in its curve where its stressed would be a great idea, that in itself could easily cause a failure of spring steel.

One idea I had if I'd have failures like that would be to maybe make up relatively small diameter cables with crimped on style loops and fasten the lower end to the upper working point hole on the backside with a longer bolt, flat washers and lock nut ( essentially double nutting ) and then run the cable up the backside of the shank and use a stainless hose clamp part way up to keep the cable snug to the shank so no trash gets caught up in it and then attach the upper end to a part of the trip or shank holder. Assuming the whole shank, trip and all doesn't come off due to U bolt failures. Possibly instead doing a similar thing with just the clamp holding the cable to the shank part way up may work as well, all depends on where the shank is snapping off.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Really???? I wouldn't worry about it. Never heard of anyone around hear having a shank go through a tire yet. I guess the shovel on the end could slice a tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.