The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that for a lot of you folks this is "old stuff", but man, does this old machine ever impress me! I've gone through two soybean seasons now and once I got the head to cut properly this outfit will EAT 50 bu green stem beans just about as fast as I can stuff them in. 320 head with SCH and AWS air bar 3.5 to 4.0 mph with dang near imperceptible rotor or shoe loss.

Wheat and oats was just as impressive. I was afraid that without the option to re-thresh tailings I'd end up with a crummy sample and a bunch out the back end. Three concave filler bars and four reverse bars did the trick. No white caps, un-threshed heads, rotor loss and very little shoe loss. I wonder now if there's any need for a return to cylinder option?

My question to those of you in the know would be this. Given that I grow soybeans, dry beans and small grains what gain could I expect in performance by discarding the reverse bars, and bolting a couple of F concave rasp bars in the separator side of my cage? Will I get better separation and less rotor loss? Will I get better fuel economy? Aside from the triangle and helical extension over the upper left corner of the feed opening, what hyper-mods would best benefit me given my crop mix?

·
Registered
361 Posts
We have one of the first R50's that was originally delivered to the Loretta Lynn Farms. Now has close to 5000 hours. Has 500 head, Feed drum shock kits , 557 chains, Hurtts deep throat kit, wide spaced bars, steep pitch helicals transitioned into standard over sep grate, 2 reverse bars, a homemade copy of Dan's rotor sweeps, removed every other wire in sep and thresh grates, have system similar to F2 concave bars, 4 built up discharge paddles cut with cylinder bars added and 4 extended bars on other rows to end of cylinder . Have 2 'chopper' knives in middle of cylinder. Chaffer has first 5 rows of louvers 1/8" more open than back section. Small seeds kit for switchgrass and clovers. Clean grain elevator chain sped up 10 % (or was until an 'accident occurred' teaching nephew to drive.grrrr) . This unit was used to test many items that later found their way into production. Semi retired now but still can remind its big brother R72 it ain't headed to China anytime soon yet... Gleaner Hyper Mods think it still works - it was our web site..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.