The Combine Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Have a little time in the dead of winter thought I'd post my progress with the shop. Trying to keep indoors as much as possible as this week and next week sucks as far as temperature to go.

If I were doing my ceiling again I would definitely strap it with two by fours instead of screwing to the trusses. I also would not use 24 ft sheets of metal they were harder to deal with then say a 16-footer. The scissor lift I bought was definitely a life saver doing the ceiling, glad I bought instead of renting. Ended up having lots of time to do the ceiling during our rain infested fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
We ended up putting in another six inches of fiberglass in the walls to give us an R40 and blew R60 into the ceiling. We strapped all the walls with 2 x 4 and also added 4 by 8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood so we can secure anything we want to the walls up to almost eight feet. I'm not the greatest carpenter but we keep stumbling along. Electrician should be done this week.

Next project will be building at least 60' of workbench under the mezzanine with drawers and shelves. I am thinking about using rough 2 by 8 for the top and haven't decided if I should weld a frame underneath or use lumber for the framing part. I'm open to ideas on how to build. We are also planning to buy or build some movable work benches.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
A swicth at the door for the air compressor would be good. A guy could shut the power and close a air valve at the compressor with one switch. We put a plug-in hooked with the lights for a radio too. Its nice to have some background noise and to turn all the air off.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
Sasksodbuster what is the thickness of your wall and what type of studs did you use? Did you put the studs on a grade beam? The shop sure looks nice.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The studs are 2x8's 20' long sitting on top of a 10" grade beam. Total thickness of the wall with 2x4 inch strapping on inside and outside would be 10.25 inches. Top of Grade beam is 3" above cement floor.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
The best workbench I ever had was 2x4 laminated edge to edge and then topped with 2x10 plank. That SOB was solid. Some like steel but if I'm beating on something I like really solid wood underneath it. Steel would be significantly cheaper. The one I use now is planked with 2 inch material and then topped with 3/4 plywood. Its OK but the edge laminated one was better.

One tip on the bench - build it the right height for YOU. I'm taller than average so I always add 6 or 8 inches to the height. Anyone else working at my bench is likely going to complain but I don't really care.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I built my shop, I wanted to make cleaning easier so I mounted my workbench to the wall I had 10 ga sheet metal bent with a 6" backsplash and a 2" lip down at the front. Put knee braces up at 45 degrees from the wall and lag bolted it to the studs. No obstruction when sweeping, or when trying to find that small part that always tries to get away. I prefer steel for my tule of work but you could do the same with wood Made a nice bench that looked good and was extremely sturdy
That said, a bench with wheels could give you dome of those things too

·
Registered
618 Posts
We ended up putting in another six inches of fiberglass in the walls to give us an R40 and blew R60 into the ceiling. We strapped all the walls with 2 x 4 and also added 4 by 8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood so we can secure anything we want to the walls up to almost eight feet. I'm not the greatest carpenter but we keep stumbling along. Electrician should be done this week.

Next project will be building at least 60' of workbench under the mezzanine with drawers and shelves. I am thinking about using rough 2 by 8 for the top and haven't decided if I should weld a frame underneath or use lumber for the framing part. I'm open to ideas on how to build. We are also planning to buy or build some movable work benches.
How wide did you make your mezzanine? I am putting one up now, made it 10'.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
We got a good start on our shop bench, I recycled some of my old hog penning made from 3/4 inch sucker rod should make a real strong bench. we have 60 drawers to make hopefully will be done tomorrow. I plan on covering the top with quarter-inch metal, not sure if I should have it rolled over the edge or just made it make it 90 degrees on the corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
We got a good start on our shop bench, I recycled some of my old hog penning made from 3/4 inch sucker rod should make a real strong bench. we have 60 drawers to make hopefully will be done tomorrow. I plan on covering the top with quarter-inch metal, not sure if I should have it rolled over the edge or just made it make it 90 degrees on the corners.
90 is nicer for a work bench I find.

Was there anything special for hanging the mezzanine from the trusses? Id like to do something like that. Is it just sucker rod?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I hung the mezzanine with 3/4”coil rod with 2 x 8 whalers across the trusses. You can usually buy them from a place that sells concrete forming material. I think that I paid about $15 for a 12’ piece.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts