The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day and having issues. The first thing that aggravates me is before this machine has even ran the dealer came out and tore into the cooling system... That shouldn't happen on a brand new machine. Now we get to harvesting green peas and we can't even load the engine because the chopper starts making the worse noise I have ever heard! We have inspected every thing about the chopper and cannot find the cause. We also have a s-77 that has the same chopper issue. I can only run 50%engine load or the chopper sounds like it's gonna fly out! The reason I reference the s-77 is because it still has all discharge paddles and slow chopper. The s 78 has speed up kit and removed discharge paddles and behaves the same. Also the cage build up on s-78 is terrible! Also the hydro stat is the weakest I have ever ran and piss poor brakes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree that tearing into a brand new machine shouldn't happen, but unfortunately it seems to be the case across the board. On one hand I think it is good that these manufacturers update machines they know have a potential problem, and on the other I wonder why they can't have it right from the get go. There must be good reason they do it this way or they all wouldn't do it (not that I agree with that).

·
Registered
624 Posts
Are the vines ropey and not chopping up good and maybe wrapping on your chopper? I've never seen that problem our vines get disintegrated on the way out the chopper. Our discharge paddles came out this past winter and cage buildup hasn't been a problem. We will see how our chickpeas do in a week or two. Did your peas test dry enough?

That doesn't sound good about your hydro if you were complaining about your S77 when it was new. The brakes could sure use some upgrading to work in the hills.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We had the same problem with s77 in wheat last year. Material couldn't get out fast enough so the rotor actually move to the left under pressure and ground on the stop sign making the noise you are describing. Havn't had this happen since installing Rodono chopper, speed up kit, and romoving half the discharge paddles. Don't know what to think of the 78 doing the same thing. Doing all the mods listed also stoped material build up so we could remove cover plate on the lower left corner.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. What a great resource this place is. The knifes are down or out, in the s 77 case. Seams like you guys have figured out the problem. With all that complaining conditions have gotten better and now we cannot make the noise comeback.
The peas themselves are dry but the vines are a little sticky. Thanks again for the help Glenn. Oh ya we need a government recall on the key switch I bumped that **** thing again with the machine full and filling the back of the cart in down grain!

·
Registered
777 Posts
You would think that but it doesn't seem to be the case. Techs on the Gleaner caravan were the ones that told me about it and I wasn't sure I believed it for the same reason. But the fix worked. It has to do with the new rotors only having 3 discharge paddles. The first year I had my S77, it had all the paddles and I didn't have the problem. Last fall, I had 3 of them removed and in wheat this year I had the banging noise that sounded like it was coming from the chopper but was the discharge paddles hitting the stop sign.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Maybe it has to do with torque and the right hand rule which would move the rotor to the left with the direction it is turning. I've had a lot of bumping and thumping this year but so far it hasn't been the rotor on the stop sign yet but I looked in that area first when I threw a set of chopper knives this summer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Don't understand how it is moving, the bearing on the stopsign has a lock collar, if locked it shouldn't move. Never have had that problem, but if I do I guess I'll have to cut the ends of the paddles. In fact all it may need is loosning and slide the rotor in a bit further.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Don't understand how it is moving, the bearing on the stopsign has a lock collar, if locked it shouldn't move. Never have had that problem, but if I do I guess I'll have to cut the ends of the paddles. In fact all it may need is loosning and slide the rotor in a bit further.
The stop sign is bowing out causing the discharge paddles to contact the carriage bolt heads.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
More then likely they were not completely aware of the problem. I would bet they will update in a year or two..
Likely they haven't beefed it up since they built the r62. But now crop flow and horsepower are no longer the weakness of the machine, so the stop sign would be the next part to be pushed on.
Don't be to mad, I am sure the engineering team is not that large and always figured it would be fine. Till guys could actually get crop volume into it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.