The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone,

I'm sure i read a post about this someplace before but i couldnt find it so here i am. If you have a link to it post it and save us another 'first time growing...' topic. well i've come upon some more acres as of late and to make a long story short, i need to switch around some of my corn acres to this new land. So i'm considering canola for some of my ground i had earmarked for corn around home. Never grown it before and i'm looking for guidance and what to do/not to do. What am i looking at for fertilizer and is there any sort of ground/previous crop that i shouldn't seed it into? I've read that lighter soils are a no no as well as soybean stubble. I've got a couple of fields with red clover cover crops and one with an alfalfa plow down that i'm thinking might good candidates. I've got my seed rep dropping off a catalogue today or tomorrow so i'll see what sort of varieties they have when he shows up. In the mean time i'd be interested in any tips and support you guys can offer a newbie. Thanks for now

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Young.farmer90
If you're in the habit of growing RUP corn & soybeans on your land, don't ever seed any RUP canola. You'll be introducing a glyphosate resistant weed into your land that you'll be cursing, & spending extra $ on in coming years to control.:mad:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hello Young.farmer90
If you're in the habit of growing RUP corn & soybeans on your land, don't ever seed any RUP canola. You'll be introducing a glyphosate resistant weed into your land that you'll be cursing, & spending extra $ on in coming years to control.:mad:
Yes, very good point! I only grow RR soys and LL canola, so I often forget to mention that point!

Liberty Canola would be a better option. Or Clearfield Canola might work (may be able to get a GMO-free premium on clearfield). Depends on the rotations.

Andrew

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
canola loves soybean ground
hey westy, if thats the case then awesome! I was always told that canola after soys wasnt a good thing.

I'd thought about using liberty canola, but i only plant IP soybeans, and corn is the only thing i do that is RR. It will depend where i put it i guess.
Got my brochure this morning. Apparently they have InVigor 5440 in stock with Lumiderm. Anybody have any feedback on this variety?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
hey westy, if thats the case then awesome! I was always told that canola after soys wasnt a good thing.

I'd thought about using liberty canola, but i only plant IP soybeans, and corn is the only thing i do that is RR. It will depend where i put it i guess.
Got my brochure this morning. Apparently they have InVigor 5440 in stock with Lumiderm. Anybody have any feedback on this variety?
Depends on your area and conditions. Canola here on soybean ground can get a lot of sclerotina pressure. But we have humid julys.

5440 is a very good variety for sure. However doesn't have the strongest blackleg resistance as some of the newer varieties. But since you have never grown canola, that shouldn't be an issue.

As for one other thing, I seem to recall something about swede midge in ontario? Something you should probably look into.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would also add that I have heard a few times, but not experienced it myself, that corn after canola can be a problem: apparently canola is a terrible host for some of the mycorrhizae species that benefit corn a lot? Anyone else know if this is indeed the case?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I would also add that I have heard a few times, but not experienced it myself, that corn after canola can be a problem: apparently canola is a terrible host for some of the mycorrhizae species that benefit corn a lot? Anyone else know if this is indeed the case?
Hello Caroncrest
Scroll down to Arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
We grow corn after canola a lot. We use 10-34 in furrow to help. The corn will not be as nice a colour for the first month or more and it will be behind corn on bean ground by a few days as well. With that said we haven't seen much of a yield drag, a few bushels at the most. It would maybe be more if there was an early frost due to the delayed maturity. In your area you could easily seed a bushel of bin run wheat or something after the canola to resolve the problem if your are worried about it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Corn after canola was a common rotation before beans made their way north 15 or so years ago. Now it seems to be the bean grounds turn in favour. We grow corn and canola but use the canola stubble for winter wheat, canola follows the corn and is usually our best yielding fields, I'm concerned that ww that close to the corn could carry over fusarium but still have not seen any higher infection levels. We still grow LL5440 and have done for a long time,very reliable variety for a long time not a one year wonder!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the input and info fellas, they brought me out some Invigor 5440 yesterday so we'll see how it goes this year. was reading that there was some swede midge in northern ontario a year or two ago, but that is a good 5-7 hours from here. havent heard anything about around here but we'll definitely keep an eye out for it

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can't go wrong with 5440. Has been the top 1 or 2 variety in Ontario for the last 6-7 years. 2016 is the last year for it I think. L252 is the new LL yield leader FYI.

I'm also growing canola again this year. It's been a few years since I last grew it. Works great for winter wheat. I was trying short season beans before wheat but there's always a yield penalty and sometimes the beans still come off after the optimal planting date for wheat.My canola will be notilled in soybean stubble. This rotation works for me. Canola needs well drained fields more so than soybeans.

Swede midge is around as traps in Douglas area indicated spraying was needed. SM is very hard to control. I think 2 years ago BDS sprayed 3-4 times in some fields. I'll be putting a couple traps out too just to keep an eye on them...I hope. SM is definitely the #1 issue with canola in Ontario. Areas in New Liskeard area have been mandated not to grow canola for several years until SM pressure comes down. I think we are ok in the Ottawa valley as there's only a little canola grown but SM is still around.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Chance2 That is amazing you can swath that type of canola with a pull type swather. Did you modify it somehow or what is the secret?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Chance2 That is amazing you can swath that type of canola with a pull type swather. Did you modify it somehow or what is the secret?
I was going to say he must have a lot of patience and then I looked at his loader and thought maybe not! Either way crop looks good and I am curious on the yield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts