The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried my new combine (used F2), finally some sun to dry things out. I have to say I was a little nervous as I've never used a combined and I really don't know what to look for. That being said, I combined a few bins without any problems. I stayed in first gear and could tell that the machine was working hard in heavy wheat. I can't say that I'm good with understanding the chaffer adjustments yet but I followed what was posted to me on the forum, fan at 6 or 7 and cylinder at about 1200rpm 1/4 clearance. I had no straw in my sample but I did have some wheat hulls. I wanted to know how normal this is, how much is OK ? What should I expect or what should I adjust. How open should the chaffer be, I do have a good wheat sieve.

Although I worked really hard at getting the combine ready, I have to say WOW! There is something to be said about doing it yourself. Yes there is stress and like everyone I worry that something will break and I'm sure it will but I'm living my dream. Some people don't get it; they tell me that I should get a custom operator and not worry at all. I say, you only live once and I want to experience things and not just watch form the sidelines. I wanted to thank everyone who provide me with advice so far, thanks!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
congrats!

like a buddy of ours once said, When you are in a combine, you are a somebody"

if it isnt threshing completely, a little more cylinder speed, or a little tighter clearance. watch and make sure it doesnt crack the grain. check the straw and make sure you are getting all the wheat out of the head, and check the ground to make sure you arent losing any over the sieve.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I assume this combine has a returns system, I'd say close the lower sieve a bit so it sends the heads back to the cylinder to be rethrashed. Or you have a leak somewhere that's allowing heads into your clean grain system.

What a thrill eh :D, there's no feeling like harvesting the fruits of your labor :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thanks for the ideas, so, I should close up the chaffer which is the main part further inside the machine and open up the adjustable tailer which is at the back near the back wheels. The unclean grain will be recycled?
Thanks I will try this!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Start with optimizing the threshing, cylinder speed and concave clearance. Fast speed gives better threshing and better throughout. Downsides are grain damage and straw breakup. In hard threshing crop, run up to the limit of acceptable grain damage. Tighter concave clearance gives better threshing but decreases throughout (uses more power). In hard threshing crop it will have to be pretty tight. Tight clearance doesn't cause grain damage, it's caused but too much speed or other reasons (worn elevator, recycling in returns). For sieve and chaffer, start with book settings. Drive at slow speed and use something to grab what's coming off chaffer. Adjust fan speed just below speed that blows too much grain out back. Even 50 rpm will make a significant difference. Adjust bottom sieve to cleanup seed in tank. Too tight and you will over load return or cause too much grain damage. Usually adjust so small amount of junk is getting in tank, gives best throughput.

The book settings are usually a good place to start but conditions make a big difference. Spend some time optimizing settings. Check carefully for loss, it is really cost lyon a net profit basis.

·
Registered
372 Posts
congrats!

like a buddy of ours once said, When you are in a combine, you are a somebody"

if it isnt threshing completely, a little more cylinder speed, or a little tighter clearance. watch and make sure it doesnt crack the grain. check the straw and make sure you are getting all the wheat out of the head, and check the ground to make sure you arent losing any over the sieve.
My initiation into combining was when I was 12 and my Dad made me follow the John Deere 30 with a scoop shovel held under the back end to check for grain loss:mad: Several times a day I had to do that even though once it was set it was pretty good. As I look back I think he did that so I would appreciate finally getting to drive the tractor:D

Congrats on your combine. There's just something about driving a combine that gets in your blood (and neck and arms);)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys! It's good to get some feedback, I wasn't born in a farm family and I have had few teachers just a lot of effort. My son is learning with me; he's 12, maybe he can be ahead of where I started from, if he wants to get it give a try when he's older. I'm sure I'm not unique, like many I work a full time job and do this on the side because I like it. Some days it feels too busy and there aren't enough hours in a day but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.