The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting to finish up the last 14 acres of Soft White Wheat. It got a little wet here so I'm waiting on some sunshine and wind to get going again, anyhow, this was my first time in wheat with the R50 and all I can say is WOW! This thing eats wheat like crazy. 17% to 20% moisture, 110 bu. DRY wheat, 20ft. 300 head/AWS windreel and @3.5 mph, sometimes 4 mph! Never choked once!

No hyper-mods, stock cylinder bar arrangement, no return to cylinder just to the acelerator rolls. I did straighten the concave grate and frame as well as re-hard surface the wear points on the concave, and I did add three filler bars.

Set the clearance to @1/8" and adjusted all the way to the MIN position. Cylinder speed to @950 and slowed down as the crop got dryer. No white caps, and no unthreashed heads in the tank.Set the wind at 6, and can't seem to find much of anything coming out the back end.

My FM is running @.8% and I don't like that, mostly hulls and bits of straw. The chaffer is set at 3/4" and sieve at @3/8" the fan is at 6. I don't want to blow any over, so is this the best sample I can hope for? Do I need to get a finishing sieve to clean it up further? Any suggestions?

Anyhow, I'm so happy with it's performance! Between how it worked in soy's last fall and now how it's working out in wheat, I'm sold on the whole transverse rotary thing!

Thanks for listening. Tom K.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no sprouts and very high falling numbers as well as very low VOM levels. No quality issues as of yet. This isn't really that late for us as we're only a few miles off the lake and are usually a couple weeks later than growers 20 to 30 miles further west. Also, white comes off wetter (up to 20%) to help prevent a lot of the quality issues. All that said, I wish I was done baby-sitting it and could get ready for oat harvest!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I didn't do anything with the helicals. I'd intended to extend the helical over the corner of the feed opening but didn't get to it...maybe before soys? Ya, it's got chrome cylinder bars and it looks like they've got a bit of wear left in them yet. Squaring up the concave helped a lot, I think, especially since it made it a lot easier to level the concave to the rotor.

I'm not sure I want to mess with the cylinder bars since I'm not sure how much that mod will really help me in beans and small grains. I don't grow corn.

·
Registered
238 Posts
We had a lot of sprouts in the husk here in the south. Test weight dockage was more than half of the total price in some cases, BUT everyone that I cut for said that they had no trash or damaged kernel dockage out of my R62 and R70. Also Tom I know exactly what you mean by being wowed by a new to you Gleaner in wheat, I'm in my 2nd year of having switched and I couldn't believe the difference. I got the R62 first last year and cut wheat last year yielding in the 80s and 90's with a 25' head running around 5 mph with almost no loss and a very clean sample.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear about the conditions, mattalx. Were you folks getting docked for sprouted soft red wheat as well as the low test weight? Sure hope your growers had some insurance to help take the bite out of it.

I guess my greatest concern going into wheat was not having the option of returning the tailings to the cylinder. All I could imagine is a lot of white caps and partial heads in the grain tank. It was kind of comforting, being able to look out the window of my M2, check on the condition of the tailings and make adjustments. This is sort of blind faith!

I did check into a return to cylinder kit from a salvage yard and they want @ $1,500, but now I don't know how badly I need it. Is it worthwhile? I do believe I'd like a finishing sieve for small grains, so I may call Vorderstrasse about that before next year.

Oh, and Amos, if you're following this, thanks for the heads up on one piece feather sheets from Shantz's. Talk about a smooth transition from the cutter bar to the conveyor! Should be really slick in beans.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, neither. It's just the stock flat door. That's one more thing I had to straighten/flatten before I started wheat. The door sure opens easier now (don't have to pry it open) but you need three hands to close it since it won't "stick" in the closed position long enough to move the door tool!

I think I'd like to do something to the door before beans. What's your opinion, is the hump better than the bar? Looks like the hump kit's kind of expensive. Does the bar work just as well?

·
Registered
77 Posts
LOL. I was trying to get your opinion.. When I got mine, it had the flat, and I managed to run a stone just into the concave. I was able to straigten the bump, and put a bar in it the next year. I haven't had a stone since, but I heard the hump gives good stone protection and makes it feed good. I am thinking about the hump kit from Abilene.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.