The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a (new to me) 9120 and looking at some concave/ bar options. Mostly wheat,oat,canola,beans but biggest concern would be wheat. I like the helical concave idea and kinda narrowed it down to Loewen or sunnybrook.

Also has anyone been running Gordon bars in flagship with helical concave with good results?
iv got a set of Gordon bars that came off 2388 that will fit and like to try them but would like to hear some feedback first

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,682 Posts
I run two machines with helical and Gordon bars

4 on one
8 on the other

Put 8 on just to compare to the other as I had some bars laying around.

Peas, oats, barley, wheat this season.

No negatives that I can think of.

The 8 bar rotor was more of a set once and forget all season.

The 4 bar needed a few adjustments now and again but we had some crappy crop conditions

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What brand helical concaves you use? Do you you’d them all the way threw or just front?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I run two machines with helical and Gordon bars

4 on one
8 on the other

Put 8 on just to compare to the other as I had some bars laying around.

Peas, oats, barley, wheat this season.

No negatives that I can think of.

The 8 bar rotor was more of a set once and forget all season.

The 4 bar needed a few adjustments now and again but we had some crappy crop conditions
Did you put your Gordon bars on in the threshing section or the separation section of the rotor?

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,682 Posts
Did you put your Gordon bars on in the threshing section or the separation section of the rotor?
Just the threshing area. I Put 2 Kile sweeps on each machine but noticed no difference. If nothing else they will help stop cone wear. I might just cut the saddles completely off this coming season...........,

Is there talk of some sort of benefit of Gordon Bars over the grates??

I noticed that a couple of Gordon bars are rubbing crop on the ramp for the concaves............. not much thought went into the location of that...........

I might move them back abit to the next spot.............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if a guy could just remove the 2 bars in cone area. Or are they needed to bring crop in?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just the threshing area. I Put 2 Kile sweeps on each machine but noticed no difference. If nothing else they will help stop cone wear. I might just cut the saddles completely off this coming season...........,

Is there talk of some sort of benefit of Gordon Bars over the grates??

I noticed that a couple of Gordon bars are rubbing crop on the ramp for the concaves............. not much thought went into the location of that...........

I might move them back abit to the next spot.............
I cut the mounting brackets off for the two rotor bars that are in the cone area. Its been like that for a couple years now, I don't miss them any.

The reason I asked if you used any over the grates is because they show them being installed there on Gordon's website. I have a stripper header and an 8120. When I use the stripper header I have to put 12 of the straight "corn bars" on the rotor to help push material through the cage area. If you haven't seen a corn bar before they are just straight bars but they span across two mounting brackets, kind of like the Gordon bars but without the swept angle to them. The straight bars are a big pain in the butt because I have to take them back off when I go to cut canola, so I end up swapping them in and out about four times during harvest and while it only takes about an hour to do, its not the most pleasant job. You absolutely CANNOT leave them on when you harvest canola. I was wondering if I could put Gordon bars on, if they would serve the same purpose as the corn bars, but I could leave them on for canola.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,682 Posts
Iam wondering if you should just change your grates to round bars when useing the shelbourne and leave your normal rotor bars on............

Or retrofit adjustable veins.

Changing them bars all the time is a pain in the butt...........

Guessing you have tried all these options already..........

See if you can source some Gordon bars off a burnt machine and try it,

I think it would work in Canola buy keeping the straw reasonly intact.......

I have seen many G Barsover here on Rotors in the wrecking yard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts