The Combine Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
You need to check it at the upper gearbox which means removing the shaft between the upper feeder house gearbox and the lower feeder house gear box. Then place the socket and torque wrench on the shaft coming directly out of the upper gearbox so it is a direct measurement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If your getting 550 testing at the gearbox I don’t know if we can get you into spec by burnishing. You can try a couple times and see where you end up but you may have to remove the gearbox and loosen the clutch pack slightly. I just want to make sure your doing it correctly before we try to correct it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What combine is this and have you replaced anything in the gearbox before? I’m not sure when they started putting friction plates in the gearbox but I believe it was sometime in the 8010 production. They switched the clutches from a radial pin clutch to a friction plate clutch and the radial clutches are not serviceable. If your machine is an earlier 8010 then you will have to live with it or take the gearbox apart and update the radial pin clutch to a friction plate clutch. If your sure you have a friction plate clutch I can give you the procedure to burnish the clutches and get it into spec.
Hmm... not sure which type clutch I got. Its off a 8230 common cab. I've replaced shafts on the gearbox but have never done anything with the clutch itself. The reason I replaced the shafts was due to misalignment of the gearbox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You need to check it at the upper gearbox which means removing the shaft between the upper feeder house gearbox and the lower feeder house gear box. Then place the socket and torque wrench on the shaft coming directly out of the upper gearbox so it is a direct measurement.
That's how I did it. I also had to block the back end of the gearbox to stop it from turning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You need to disconnect your speed sensor on the gearbox, we disable the auto cutout but you can’t so I believe disconnecting the speed sensor will suffice. Then take a heavy chain and tie it to at least two slats and around the support tube under the feeder house. Next start the machine and reverse the feeder house. You are wanting to run the gearbox in reverse for 2 seconds at a time with 30 seconds in between. You can do this up to 20 times and if the torque does not come down to at least 384 foot pounds you will have to loosen the clutch pack. I would start out with five series then check the torque. Don’t over do it you have to remove the gearbox to tighten the pack if you go too far.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That shaft is a through shaft the only thing you block is the rock beater then use the torque wrench and measure what it takes to turn the shaft and not the rock beater.
Font Line Screenshot Rectangle Map

·
Registered
249 Posts
So the input and output (#30) should turn with the torque wrench and the two output shafts (#4&#5) should not.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts