The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a 2hr road trip with my 14 7230 and my hydrostatic motor temp alarm went off. It was a hot day, like 34C but we’ve worked these machines in lots of conditions like this before. Hydro rad is clean. Hydro oil temp running 135F so it doesn’t seem to be the problem. This combine has option of “economy” mode for fuel savings while roading but didn’t seem to make a difference if it was on or off, still overheated. Is the hydrostat motor going out? 850 eng hours, 650rtr hrs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure about your 7230, but we had a 7088 that had the '2 speed' hydro, if you would run it in the high position down the road it would overheat, so I just didn't run with that on down the road even though I couldn't go as fast.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is that 135F the hydraulic oil temp or is that the temp or the ground drive hydro stat ?. There are different temp parameters you can watch and those 2 temps will likely be very different. If you are getting a hydrostat over temp alarm then I’d be checking to see what the reading is at the motor. It will be in one the Hydraulics tab screen

·
Registered
250 Posts
Big difference in hydro motor load when you get into top gear gives them a real workout. Is oil level correct, is oil the correct grade, are you running full engine rpm. are you climbing hills? Be gentle with the hydro handle no brisk acceleration. Was told its best work in the lowest gear that can attain the desired speed let the motor spin a bit fasterwith less torque load. Could be all wrong who knows.

·
Registered
373 Posts
We found our belts were slipping on the engine fan. Could bottom out the tensioner and it would still slip. Went and got shorter belts from the auto store and then we could put some real tension on them so it could actually cool.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Really wash the rads. Change the fan belts if they look rough at all. Change all the hydraulic oil filters, cut them open check for filings. If you're running in high temperatures I would try a 68 or 100wt hydraulic oil. Will handle the heat better and run cooler.

A good 20 minute pressure wash on the rads does wonders for keeping a machine cool.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We found our belts were slipping on the engine fan. Could bottom out the tensioner and it would still slip. Went and got shorter belts from the auto store and then we could put some real tension on them so it could actually cool.
Not sure about the 230 series but I know that the earlier flagship combines could have the belt put on two ways. The proper way gives way more movement on the tensioner.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not sure about the 230 series but I know that the earlier flagship combines could have the belt put on two ways. The proper way gives way more movement on the tensioner.

That's how my 8120 is. Its really easy to put the belt on the wrong way. Everything looks right but it will overheat all the time until you get the belt put on correctly.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Had lots of trouble with fan belts on my 8230, forever changing belts and springs. Finally had to replace the bush in the tensioner arm so replaced it with a brass bush and haven’t even had to adjust the belt tension in the last three years, just unreal. Not to many plastic bushes left on the old girl now, all old school brass

·
Registered
79 Posts
It happens all the time in my 9240. Any trip over 15 miles and hyd oil temp high. I have to run the separator while going down the road and then it stays cool. That's actually what the monitor tells me to do and it seems to work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts