The Combine Forum banner

Flagship models plugging rethresher?

11K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Don Boles 
Only ever had an issue when harvesting peas when wet plant matter coated the deflector as SWMan says.

As to nicemustang's comment, he's referring to the fact that the Case rethresher doesn't seem to actually do reprocessing to small grains; it just recirculates the returns back around, building the volume higher and higher until it falls out the back, or causes grain to plug the cleaning fan. Either way (and on any brand of combine), high tailings load is a sign that you need to change rotor settings. And possibly open the bottom sieve up and close the top sieve to bring more air through to do cleaning.

So to answer your question, no we've never had a problem plugging the rethresher when going through kochia. Farmerjones assertions notwithstanding. We also have small tube rotors and they don't even groan with green kochia.

farminflyboy is saying he doesn't normally cut weedy fields, or at least anything like your extreme examples. So saying Case sucks because of its rethresher design is disingenuous. I don't think farminflyboy needs to expect plugging a rethresher on Case in his conditions. I certainly have never done it in the half dozen years we've had the Case combines. There are hundreds of case combines operating in Alberta and I haven't heard on here or in any other place of widespread problems plugging the rethresher, except maybe in peas from the vine material coating the discharge chute. I only know of one person who has ever plugged the rethresher up here.

I strongly maintain that if you rely on your tailings processor on any brand of combine to clean up your sample, then you're setting the combine wrong. Get the rotor threshing better and open the sieves. Sure it'd be a bit easier if the rethresher actually could, well re-thresh, but that still means you're punting a rotor settings problem to the rethresher.

Even with weeds I don't see what good a rethresher is, even John Deere's rethresher. Are you saying you want the weeds chopped up into fine pieces so they'll blow over the back easier? I'm not sure I'm following your logic, farmerjones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.