The Combine Forum banner

Flagship models plugging rethresher?

11K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Don Boles 
#1 ·
This came up over in the Deere section and I would like to know more about this issue but didn't want to derail their thread. Supposedly smelling a kochia plant will plug the rethresher? Is this a real issue, or slightly scewed perspective from someone who isn't a big fan of his grandpas case combine? I'm seriously considering a late 8010 or 8120 so I would like to know any issues like this.

#4 ·
If you are harvesting weedy grain or say canola with lots of re-growth like I had last fall after a couple days it can build up on the deflector where those return paddles flip the returns into the sieves. Go in with a putty knife and clean it and away you go. Happened a couple of times to me last fall and is the first time I had seen it in a half dozen years of running these machines, one was worse than the other but they were both building up with stuff. Very late/tough harvest last year! You notice it when it blocks and return plugs. Not something that would keep me from buying one.;)

#5 · (Edited)
Only ever had an issue when harvesting peas when wet plant matter coated the deflector as SWMan says.

As to nicemustang's comment, he's referring to the fact that the Case rethresher doesn't seem to actually do reprocessing to small grains; it just recirculates the returns back around, building the volume higher and higher until it falls out the back, or causes grain to plug the cleaning fan. Either way (and on any brand of combine), high tailings load is a sign that you need to change rotor settings. And possibly open the bottom sieve up and close the top sieve to bring more air through to do cleaning.

So to answer your question, no we've never had a problem plugging the rethresher when going through kochia. Farmerjones assertions notwithstanding. We also have small tube rotors and they don't even groan with green kochia.

#6 ·
Or open the sieves and put the material in the tank. It's not that you are a case hater, but you have had some bad experiences with the last couple of combines, which can make every additional issue that much more frustrating. We rarely cut in weeds, this year being the exception, but I wanted more info on the subject before I end up regretting a purchase. It sounds like some gorden bars and helicals would help with your issues though fj, they will thresh any thing that is thresh able.

My 2388 has no problems dealing with kochia and I don't want to step backwards.

#7 · (Edited)
farminflyboy is saying he doesn't normally cut weedy fields, or at least anything like your extreme examples. So saying Case sucks because of its rethresher design is disingenuous. I don't think farminflyboy needs to expect plugging a rethresher on Case in his conditions. I certainly have never done it in the half dozen years we've had the Case combines. There are hundreds of case combines operating in Alberta and I haven't heard on here or in any other place of widespread problems plugging the rethresher, except maybe in peas from the vine material coating the discharge chute. I only know of one person who has ever plugged the rethresher up here.

I strongly maintain that if you rely on your tailings processor on any brand of combine to clean up your sample, then you're setting the combine wrong. Get the rotor threshing better and open the sieves. Sure it'd be a bit easier if the rethresher actually could, well re-thresh, but that still means you're punting a rotor settings problem to the rethresher.

Even with weeds I don't see what good a rethresher is, even John Deere's rethresher. Are you saying you want the weeds chopped up into fine pieces so they'll blow over the back easier? I'm not sure I'm following your logic, farmerjones.

#10 ·
I run my chaffer at 16 and sieve at 16 most of the time in good wheat and this year we had 11 inchs of rain in the last 2 weeks of harvest and the crab grass and pig weeds over took the wheat on the customer I was harvesting for. after unplugging the rethresher 6 times and digging chaffer out cause it was caked with **** I found that if you leave sieve open and close chaffer down to 10 I got along fine and sample was still clean. I was putting more out the back but that's what you get I thank when the conditions are the way they are. also on a side note it was so bad that I plugged concaves and rotor 3 times so it was very nasty and looked like silage comen out the back

#13 ·
Never had a issue in kochiA with the case rethrasher, only issue I have had is in tough green peas, the deflector plate needs to be removed, to prevent plugging, but once removed it is very difficult to plug return, I cut threw kochiA patches with ease, where the 9870 was stopped, not sure about latest Deere combines

#14 ·
That's some ****house conditions there. Brings back some memories. Boring along, wondering if the bin will ever fill up. Wouldn't mind seeing a green and red bin sample photo thanks guys.

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah those conditions can plug the return on almost anything. Played **** with my 2188, but my 2388 has a modified gorden airjet thanks to doorknob and it marched right through with just a bit of leaf material in the tank. Only draw back was after two days of thin wheat the back half of the chaffer was full of beards from no grain traffic, so when I got into some good wheat I started getting clean grain looping, took a screwdriver and cleaned it out and problem solved.

How is that crap getting out of your rotor Fj, those grates look plugged to me. You guys still around dodge or have you made it up to Colby yet?

#19 ·
Bin there done that, I feel for you, one main reason I like case.... No rotor belt issues and you don't get out of the cab, just rock the rotor back and forth till it finally unplugs

There is been days when I have snuffed the combine out more than a dozen times, in ulgy conditions and usually cutting things I should not be cutting, but with rock and roll, it's quick and don't get hands dirty

#20 ·
I'd like to meet the engineer that designed that rethresher and ram his f**king head down the spout of that thing while its plugged with kochia. It's bad when it takes a hammer and punch to pry that stuff out of there. I want a flagship machine with a return. Those rethreshers are a joke anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.