The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking recently to a knowledgeable friend of mine he suggested I remove the first two rub bars on my rotor then remove the rub bar mounts. This leads to better feeding into the rotor and less cone wear. Has anyone else done this?

He joked that the only reason for the rub bars was so CIH could sell more cones!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've done this mod to my 8120 rotor. Can't say it made it feed any better, but it certainly didn't degrade performance any. Based on where those rub bars are all they are going to do is wear out the cone and front of the module H-frame, so I don't miss having them there any.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
There was a post with pictures of a similar mod. They also extended the flighting a bit. I just replaced my cone last year and had to do some metal work on the frame. Would like to do something like this for 2021 harvest. Should help the combine last for many more seasons.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Rod did remove his first two bar and extend the flighting but I can't find the link.
Might have seen the update on Twitter
Here is what he was wanting to do.

Reactions: CRToney

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Rod did remove his first two bar and extend the flighting but I can't find the link.
Might have seen the update on Twitter
Here is what he was wanting to do.
Here’s the results....... zero bars removed & 150mm of flighting added ..... & all hard faced.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Colony modified a rotor in MB.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Everyone is shaking their head & wondering why Case is still persisting with the “zero” bars when there’s a known problem of premature cone wear........ directly related to zero bars ! And I don’t subscribe to the theory “so they can sell more cones”.
Surely a design engineer can scrub these off the (rotor) plans & add a bit of flighting?

·
Registered
639 Posts
European case combines advertise 10 degree bars. Do these replace the front zero bars or do something else? Wonder if they would work better in small grains other places than Europe?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I run 10° bars in the thrashing area on mine (ST) & spiked bars all over the separation area.
It wouldn’t matter what bars you run in the two zero positions. They don’t need to be there at all.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Rod had them on for a season, didn't think they helped much.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,788 Posts
I run them on two machines
Can’t notice any difference in feeding or HP requirements but haven’t done any tough straw either.

they obviously process a lot of material Judging by the wear in 4-500 hrs. Either that or it’s junky steel. I will either get some new ones and hard face them or cut the brackets off entirely for the 2021 crop.
Got a few months to ponder that one............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts