The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking at the flaman kwick clean are they worth the cash got wild oats in my canola they cmae late after two shot of round up thinking cleaning the wildoats etc out of my canola before delivery would it work also too maybe use on wht to clean ut the odd weed seeds

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had the same idea years back. You sure get docked hard with wild oats because they weigh up. What is that thing worth these days? Maybe I am out to lunch but would it be cheaper if it was possible to take your canola to a local seed cleaning plant for a basic separation. Our plant here cleans a lot of ergot out of wheat and canola. I think it was like $6 per tonne or something. I would hate to spend a bunch of money on a machine like that. Maybe you don't have a cleaning plant around but I would look into costing that out if possible.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got a plant half a mile down the road road but he would be lucky to do 200 bushels an hour i like the idea of cleaning it as it comes out the bin before delivery so no double handling
the big one is 10 500 that will keep up with 10 inch auger

·
Registered
804 Posts
I don't see the point in doing it. It is not like it is going to gain you a higher grade in this case. If elevator is assessing dockage correctly the net bushels should be the same and at least the wild oats are off the farm.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't see the point in doing it. It is not like it is going to gain you a higher grade in this case. If elevator is assessing dockage correctly the net bushels should be the same and at least the wild oats are off the farm.
Fully agree. Unless you are hours away from drop off and the wild oats are in very large %, the cost of those machines would take a lot of time to get cost recovered. Probably looking at 4% dockage, so you can't take that at the price of the canola, just the cost of driving something you are not getting paid for. Also, when you clean the wild oats out, what are you going to do with them, they also need to be hauled anyway to the closest feed mill that will take them.
Excess dockage is not a reason to downgrade, unless it is inseperable seeds, which wild oats are not.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You pay the same for cleaning at elevator regardless of the % of DKG. Unless you can get it to CC. Then you may pay to clean it at home. There is a cost to trucking DKG but also to cleaning at home. Some elevators pay you for DKG as they sell it and make money and are willing to share that with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.