The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted flax for the first time this fall and I'm trying to think of what to do with the residue. My normal tillage it to mow, disc, plow then harrow twice. I'm not thinking that will work for flax straw. Perhaps I could chop it then no-till (disc type openers) if I could find one to rent or borrow. Burning is not an option due to proximity to houses. The field man says to expect about 45 bu/a on the flax. It will be going into wheat or grass hay within a couple months of harvest.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cut it reasonably short, leave the straw in windrows and bale it. It can be used for a multitude of things if you can find a buyer. The straw has immense amounts of energy and works great in an outdoor boiler/furnace that can handle bales. It is very tough straw and could also be rolled out for livestock bedding outdoors. There used to be places around that would buy it and process it.

Too bad you can't harrow it into windrows, wait for the right wind and burn it.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
What kind of disc openers do you have? With mine (Pillar Lasers) I just strip the flax with a stripper header, leave the residue and seed right into it.

Could also drops the straw out the back of the combine and bale it off. It works great as mulch in trees. You might just find a premium market for it in orchards or vegetables. The Willamette Valley has some pretty incredible agriculture from what I saw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have a conventional drill, so the openers on a no-till drill would be whatever was available to rent, probably JD or Great Plains.

There's no chance my regular tillage would work without baling, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.