The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just fixed a 9750 that blew up in tough flax. Broke half the threshing elements and all the tines and there was no evidence of foreign material. Had this happen in 3 STSs so far this year, all doing tough threshing grasses or flax. Try and find a 9600 for the flax and save yourself the headache.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Wonder if that paddle kit (can't remember exactly what they call it) on the back of the rotor would prevent that?
I had a kit installed to prevent pea straw from wrapping on the back of the rotor
and becoming familiar with Three Hills fire department personal.
Also told not to run the rotor under 300 but that wouldn't be a factor in flax.
Rant alert.
Between issues like this and that BS GMO issue the bloom on flax...fades.
Now we've got this certification of blackleg free canola going to China, where they have blackleg anyway.
And wouldn't our canola just be used in food processing where blackleg is no issue, not seeded?
So on those two issues, can you say non tariff barriers?
Rant ended.

Don

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I just finished doing flax with my 9770 and 630 Draper. Up to five mph. The only pproblem I had was when I took in a wad of threshed flax straw that broke the concave adjusting motor and the shear pins. Replaced the shear pins, adjusted the concave to where I wanted it and held it there with vicegrip pliers.
Incidentally, the motor was one I had previously broken in canola. I had super glued it back together. I'm sure it would have worked had I not put the wad of flax straw in.

On another note, I was doing wheat today testing 18% moisture at 4.6 mph. Rotor 1080, concave 19, fan 1050, chaffer 14, sieve 6,
pre-cleaner 4 turns open, calibration sensitivity 55, great sample
cover plates on centre concave, Loewen Low Wire, Narrow Space Front Concave. Customer was doing 2 mph with his 9600, cracking grain, he was quite impressed with the job we were doing.

This is my 26th year doing custom work locally here in western Manitoba. Canada. I charge $190.00 per separator hour for belt pickup work, plus $6.00 per acre when cutting, customers fuel and trucking.

If you want to do a good job threshing wheat with a Deere STS,
you have to open that concave and speed up the rotor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry this is the right setting
Rotor 1050
Concave 0 - 1
Fan speed 800 - 820
Top siv 0 - 1
Bottom siv 12

·
Registered
144 Posts
We blew a wad of straw through the JD last year on flax. It took out the adusting gear too. That was the main reason we let it sit and took out the 9070. It all came off dry last Thurs./Fri. Not much there. Frost in the spring hurt the stand. We run the rotors fast and tight and it does a pretty good job. Grinds the straw to nothing. On another subject. I showed the bootleg new JD combine pics at the Red Deer farm show yesterday. The company guy said another year or 2 yet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Are you sure???? Gonna try this setting today as neighbors flax is an SOB. Heavy returns, 9 blanks in the concave, I think someone glued the balls together as they won't thrash. 1 on the top seive? might as well have a piece of plywood on there. Running 8 and 8 yesterday. 8820 would love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts