The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we are in north central Alberta harvest has all but wrapped up I got a 1/4 of flax been sprayed over 20 days and all it will do is wrap on auger in straight cut or pick up any suggestions ??? I have thought of a stripper header but local dealer doesn’t have any . Forecast looks awful . Has anyone done flax while it’s frozen ?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Not the answer you want to hear, swath it, if it won’t go thru the combine this fall it will leave it for spring. Flax will go thru the combine much better in the spring.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I think he tried swathing already. He mentioned that it wraps around the drum even on his pickup header. Fun times.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am also looking for some advice with flax. I had trouble with it wrapping on the auger header in the center so I swathed it and it seemed to work better. I am just looking for some advice on settings for flax as it is the first time I combine flax with it. It is an 8820 and from what I find people say to thresh it like wheat and it seems to be doing a good job or threshing. The 8820 has an air foil chaffer and I always seem to struggle setting it to get low losses. It seems like I either blow to much out or have a bad sample and overload the tailings.

What kind of wind speed should I be using? They say lots of air with a non adjustable airfoil but I am worried about blowing the flax out but also dont want it carried out in the chaff.

Dont mean to highjack the thread. I have heard of guys pulling out auger fingers when flax wants to wrap and also putting duck tape around the auger. This is what I am planning on trying if I have trouble with wrapping.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I sprayed my flax with glyphosate then reglone. Went through like pie. Probably looking for new seed though.

On our conventional, sieve is very tight with lots of wind but we still can get a sample with 5% dockage in it. Its a touchy crop.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Flax can be a four letter word that starts with "F".

Went through a similar problem as you're facing a few years ago. Couldn't cut it with anything. All new guards and smooth sections and your still plug the knife every 10 feet. Tried the swather and two straight cut headers.

Out of desperation tried the neighbours stripper header. Went like a hot knife through butter. Only limiting factor was slipping the feeder house drive belt. Had a fair amount of unthreshed bolls in the sample but it was off.

Seeding into the straw next spring in the sticky clay was a less than pleasant experience. Could have built bomb shelters out of that mess when the drill plugged.

I used a MF stripper head identical to this one.

Combine Header on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/edmonton/combine-header/1460508592?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

I also have pulled the fingers and taped the holes like joesixpack mentioned.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
557 Posts
what I have found is that when its ready it goes through combine no issues, doesnt wrap and you get a good clean sample that happened on the fourth day of my flax this year !!!!! it was five days after -10 and there was a couple f bombs in the process!! LOL actually not that funny! really bangs when it wraps on feeder drum and lets go!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You can employ the most common solution many farmers have come up with, stop seeding it.
My last flax field was in 2012, combined that in the spring. Haven’t had the urge since than. Flax prices used to climb above $16, in the last 10 years prices have been poor, won’t grow it unless we get over $16 again.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'm still waiting for $40 a bushel. Playing it safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions the flax is in the bin . Now to grain dry it . It’s very wet around 18-19 I have a vertec 6800 anyone have experience drying flax

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions the flax is in the bin . Now to grain dry it . It’s very wet around 18-19 I have a vertec 6800 anyone have experience drying flax
I've only dried it a couple times over the years. Low heat 135, slow and at that tough I'd imagine it'd have to run through twice. Be prepared for a bit of a mess, as some will blow out the vents. Though on mine it wasn't blowing out the vents very bad, maybe cleaned up a bushel or two every few hours, you can choke the fan to reduce airflow to stop it from blowing out of the vents if it gets too bad.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Or stop seeding the old school way. Use a stripper and a disc drill. No prob.
Well it works but, it's not guaranteed either.

Did that one year. The following spring was fairly wet and where the tracks on my challenger disturbed the ground the flax and gumbo mixture would stick to the side of the disks and plug.

Ended up tieing a 180hp fwa in front to reduce the disturbance and it helped. First year with a tbt tank and no camera looking behind the tank I didn't know when it plugged except that when 650hp on a 40' drill just about comes to a stop you know it's bad. Lol.

Ended up packing those Toyota sized piles off the field with a loader. Could have built bomb shelters out of that stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts