The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and dad are considering switching flax varieties. We're thinking of either switching to Glas or Sanctuary. Anyone have experience with them both? We farm an hour south of Regina.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that Don, we currently grow Bethune. Have been for many years. Just feel like there's some better varieties out there. Heard good thing about Sanctuary, it appears to be the highest yeilder. Also heard good things about Glas, that it stands very well.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
G, we have been growing flax in the same are as you for like 20 yrs. We have tried a couple varieties like Sorrel and didn't have a good experience. We found out that a marginal increase in yields in some of these varieties came with downsides like more disease susceptibility, poor standability, tougher straw and more of it etc. We just stick with Bethune as most do around here. Its just tried and tested and hard to justify a switch. This yr even with the rotten harvest and 15 freezes before harvest, the maturity was all even, no black, or shrunken, no disease.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've grown glas for two years now it yielded 40bu/ac both years .. it stands very well we had about 8 inches of snow on it while it was still standing this fall and it was flattened pretty bad but by the time we got to combine it all stood back up.. like to the point you would have never known it got snowed on .. to jazz's point it did get a lot of frost on it and it looked like quite a few black seeds in it but they still called it a 1 ..Ive been nothing but happy with it .. that said it's the only flax I've ever grown so not much for me to compare with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts