The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So riddle me this.. I’ve blown the same hose 3 times now in 3 days on our drill. It’s a flex hoe (flexi 5000) with a 3430 cart hooked to a 9530. It’s run for 2 seasons problem free, but now on the lift pressure line it keeps blowing and dumping out a ton of oil. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Took the last hose to a local heavy duty guy who pointed out how thy hose crimp looked good from the outside, it actually hadn't crimped down to the braid of the hose. apparently when you mix brands of hose and fittings there can be issues. Hose he made up for me works just fine so I guess it was a bad crimp..... 3 times in a row

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Well at least it was something simple. You should have a set of charts for your crimper so you can set the indicator for whatever combination you are putting together and also makes sure you have the proper dies installed for that size. Over crimping can result in just as fast of failure as not enough, as when over done, the fitting will get stretched and can break off at between the threaded part and the crimp.
Brand names mean nothing, style and type is what matters, as does the type of hose, including number of braids and type of outer covering, and whether its a skive or nonskive application. A crimper for the old style compression type fittings will not do a proper job with the newer bite to wire style, short on power and dies are shaped wrong and there are no charts as the machines are not designed for it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
That makes sense now, I wondered how a hose if it was new would be randomly letting go but a crimped end is another story for sure. That reminds me of years ago with a flexicoil cultivator and upon unhooking it one of the hoses literally slid out of its crimped end rather then the coupler coming out of the tractor, that was rather unsettling and goes to show screw ups can be made at the factory as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think I changed almost every hose on my old Flexicoil 5000, all single braid hose!! I bought a used Dayco hose crimper, for just that reason!! One of the best investments I ever made, had paid for itself in 1 year with the saved time and trips to town to get a new hoses made!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts