The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 40' Case IH 2162, 3162, 40' Macdon FD 70 and FD75. I am aware of double drive and single drives. Just looking for info on which flexdraper head is better and why.

·
Registered
905 Posts
FD75 routed the hydraulics outside the back of the header instead of inside the tube is one thing I know they changed. You want a 2010 or newer FD70 or an updated older one. They strengthened the center draper frame and changed how the front hooks up to the header.

The 3162 is a whole different animal than the 2162, FD70, and FD75.

Like mentioned above the 2162 and FD70 are the same head.

·
Registered
905 Posts
3162 the CNH effort Jeff?
And, how much time to install tilt control on FD 75? Price?
Yes Don, the 3162 if my memory serves me right, is a center drive CNH head that they call the Terra Flex. Almost like a Honey Bee where it's a long ways from knife to draper. I believe you can also get that header in NH colors as well.

·
Registered
905 Posts
As in good or bad?
Have never personally ran one, but like I mentioned in my above post, it's a lot further from the knife to the draper. I guess I'm not a big fan of that concept when doing soybeans.

The one maybe plus is center drive, so narrower end divider.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What I've heard on the 3162/880CF is that the center gearbox doesn't hold up. And the long distance from knife to belt causes problems in short crops.

Don: the Tilt kit can be installed in a couple hours...part of the time is making sure its adjusted properly. Our Install manuals are available online Headsight.com/Technical Info. Put MacDon in under headers and hit search. A typical kit for most modern combines currently costs $1385. There are a few combines that take a conversion module and cost more (early NH-CR, IH 2388, for example)

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
A few years ago our dealer seemed pretty excited about the 3162. I tried several times to get a demo of it, but was never able to. Eventually the salesman dissuaded me from even trying it. He claimed they found the 7120s with standard header lift cylinders couldn't lift it because it was too heavy. Though that sounds odd to me as the 3162 is very similar in weight to the Macdon. Now it seems our dealer is pushing MacDon headers and also the new Honeybee Airflex.

For the last few years we've been running a 2152 on one combine and a 2162 on the other. But we are growing more pulses than we used to, so earlier this year we traded our 2152 on a brand new FD 75 through our Case dealer. They just brought it over yesterday. Except for the way the outside panels come off, it's got minor improvements over our 2162. We feel really good about buying this header.

Is there a kit we can buy to retrofit our older header's center draper to fix up the links that wear out?

hfh, I have yet to hear of someone who felt let down by their 2162, FD 70 or FD75. They are good headers and they work. I'm not afraid of the older 2162s and FD70s.

There are a few important things to know about how to set the main springs for proper flotation and also how to do wing balance. But there are several of us on the forum that can provide help if you need it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We have cut along side the 3162 heads and helped work with them a bit and I would not have one. Had problems with trash under the belt and various other problems. They took alot of adjustments away from you so it is hard to fix the issues when they arise. We have one of the last 45' 2162 Case sold. Been pretty happy with it. I wont say that it is a perfect head either but I believe it is better than the 3162.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That kit number is 84529698
Is there a kit we can buy to retrofit our older header's center draper to fix up the links that wear out?.
Just got mine done, the original links where more then half way wore through. Cost was just over $200 I believe and looks like a much better design. I didn't do it myself but I don't think it was overly complicated

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
completely off subject I am just wondering what your avatar represents or stands for? thanks, I am curious.
Initials. A while back I needed a "avatar" for a business program that wanted Initials. I had my daughter, a Graphic artist, design me something that would be easily identifiable. I think she did an awesome job. Sort of a branding iron made out of my initials.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Initials. A while back I needed a "avatar" for a business program that wanted Initials. I had my daughter, a Graphic artist, design me something that would be easily identifiable. I think she did an awesome job. Sort of a branding iron made out of my initials.
ok thanks for the explanation. yes it looks great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts