The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience seeding sunflowers with a Flexi-Coil 1720 grain cart? I currently have a "fine" roller that I use for wheat and peas, but I'm wondering if I need to swap out that roller for a bigger one? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
I seeded some with a 3430 Case which is probably the same rollers anyway. Sunflowers are hard because you will be someplace like 4-6 lbs per acre of seed but its a larger seed. I think what I did was use the extra fine roller (for canola and other small crops) and ripped off the plastic wear strip off the bottom of the plate where the roller is the closest to. This gave it enough space that the flowers didn't get ground up, but also let the meter turn at a reasonable speed so there weren't skips. To run the fine meter at a slow enough speed to do that I think it would be very patch in the field.

The other option would be to mix the sunflower seed with starter fertilizer in the same tank which would let you meter it out at a higher rate and use a different roller.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can get a segmented roller, that is more like coarse roller depth but is blanked off for most of the width of each run. It lets you speed up the roller to avoid skips but still have clearance for seeds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get a segmented roller, that is more like coarse roller depth but is blanked off for most of the width of each run. It lets you speed up the roller to avoid skips but still have clearance for seeds.

View attachment 158940
That looks more like an extra fine roller. I was thinking I need a course roller for sunflowers but maybe an extra fine roller will work?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure, I took a regular fine roller and sectioned it into thirds. The spacers (white things) are cut from UHMW on a CNC router. There are probably lots of ways you could cut those out though.
Have you seeded sunflowers with it? I'm curious is a segmented extra fine roller would work with sunflower.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have you seeded sunflowers with it? I'm curious is a segmented extra fine roller would work with sunflower.
I have not seeded sunflowers with it, but I do think it would work well. The whole idea of my roller was to increase the roller RPM for more consistent metering while still only metering a small volume of product. That seems to be the problem with sunflower seed as well.

I'm not sure the segmented extra fine roller like what PJakober posted a picture of would work for sunflower though. I think the sunflower seeds are too big. I've used those segmented extra fine rollers before and I think they are pretty much limited to small seeded crops like canola. I have a neighbor who tried to use one for wheat and it didn't work at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not seeded sunflowers with it, but I do think it would work well. The whole idea of my roller was to increase the roller RPM for more consistent metering while still only metering a small volume of product. That seems to be the problem with sunflower seed as well.

I'm not sure the segmented extra fine roller like what PJakober posted a picture of would work for sunflower though. I think the sunflower seeds are too big. I've used those segmented extra fine rollers before and I think they are pretty much limited to small seeded crops like canola. I have a neighbor who tried to use one for wheat and it didn't work at all.
Is the one you built a course meter with 6 runs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts