The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was seeding peas moved to a new field and I have 5 runs the 2 on the end would quit but the other 3 runs would keep seeding I take the manifold down and turn it then it would run out again put it all back together again go for 2 strips the same thing, do it all again then do 2 again then when I quit it 3 on the other side quit and the 2 worked

first time in 500 acres this happened I drained the tank out and didn't seed anything plugging the agitator is working I haven't tried to seed since I drained it out due to rain,

just thought I would share this and see if anyone has any thought before I get back out there

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
So I take it there was no blockage along in the manifold pipes/hoses/manifolds/openers then and you had good air flow coming out of all openers ?.

Assuming I am correct on the first statement and its only at the roller where the hang up is, because you are getting product to come out of part of the roller, one side or then the other would seem to indicate the drive is doing its job. I have to wonder if you have failing rubber segments as it is possible although I have never experienced it myself, that they can start turning on the hex shaft and since they can glue themselves together fairly firm on a side to side basis within each side of the roller it would be possible that as a group of 2 or the group of 3 on the other side of the center smooth section could come to a stop if they are stripping out internally. So I'd be looking really close at the roller and twist and turn by hand as hard as you can on the segments to see if they move at all relative to the hex shaft.

The peas themselves in the tank, are they inoculated or dampened in such a way that they could cause a hang up ... oh and also make sure those tubes inside the tank are clear of product as its possible you could have filled the tank too much and got peas falling down the tubes and messed up the pressurization of the tank causing it to do funky things and as well check to make sure your tank lid is sealing ( that the sealing rubber isn't gone ! )

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes lids are tight

no blockage in the hoses I have full air comin out the openers, I rebuild the back meter box with new bearings and wear plate worked good for 500 acres on the last quarter this happened, the only thought that really hi my mind is yes they are dampened with peat nodulator maybe I got to much at once kinda thing

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I was seeding peas moved to a new field and I have 5 runs the 2 on the end would quit but the other 3 runs would keep seeding I take the manifold down and turn it then it would run out again put it all back together again go for 2 strips the same thing, do it all again then do 2 again then when I quit it 3 on the other side quit and the 2 worked

first time in 500 acres this happened I drained the tank out and didn't seed anything plugging the agitator is working I haven't tried to seed since I drained it out due to rain,

just thought I would share this and see if anyone has any thought before I get back out there
The way I read that, is you are taking the cart manifold down? Since it is the outside runs that are clogging, I wonder if you have inoculant built up in the distribution manifold on the drill? Air will flow and a crank or two of the meter when sitting still might go thru, but when you hit field speed and rate, perhaps the peas are hanging up at the distribution manifolds?

Should be the same amount of air all across, but I wonder if when you folded, (assuming you have to fold to go to the next field) that some inoculant chunked up and knocked loosed when folding, is causing some issues at the distributors?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Definitely pea inoculation applied to the peas reduces their ability to flow as smoothly but having said that we used to inoculate that way until we switched to granular but can see where too much applied could cause a hang up situation ... haven't seeded peas for a few years now though. I would still suggest you use something to hold the drive end of the metering roller while its out and twist on the segments as it just seems fishy why ALL on one side of the roller or ALL on the opposite side meter or then stop metering. Its impossible to have the hex shaft broken and it function so I keep leaning to that possibility even though you had it apart before. As well, without any product in the tank and the roller installed, turn it over with your fingers when the drive isn't connected to make sure nothing is hanging up or catching for some oddball reason. Again though, please check those two clear hoses inside the tank and I would suggest you take the hoses off at the floor level and be absolutely sure the hoses are clear of peas and also the hose sections outside the tank fitting up to those internal hoses. Once product falls into them, I doubt it can come out and that surely would mess with proper flow coming out of the tank if it ended up with negative pressure inside that tank.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
How corroded were the rollers when you replaced the bearings? When I rebuilt the rollers in the new to me 3450 this spring, the coarse were so corroded that the rust had expanded the segments so much that they could almost rotate by hand, once the rust was scraped off. I ended up replacing the coarse segments, as I am certain they would slip. New ones weren't a pressed fit, but almost.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Our 1330 will not sow oats reliably and can be a pain in barley if seed is not perfect. I made an extra agitator driven with a windscreen wiper motor, helps a bit.
My theory is bin sides are too steep and narrow creating horizontal crowding.
When it plays up you can often feel a void with a probe and see it collapse.
A blocked bin pressure tube will also do it. Neighbor found a plug from painting in his new 1720 years ago.
Older carts with small wheels ride rougher and shake seed down better.
Of course we were the only ones to ever have a problem according to dealer and reps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts