The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 2340 flexi-coil are cart with mechanical metering. I have to change one of the spring clutches. The problem I am having is according to the parts man one box goes clockwise and the other one goes counter clockwise. How do I tell which is which. I am working on bin two and when I look from the end the meter roll goes counter clockwise. is this right? Please help.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
wasn't aware of that. If you turn the crank handle forwards or backwards it still meters seed out. IMO as long as there is movement, the meter roller turns the meter roller in the same direction no matter what.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
The meter boxes turn the same direction. With the drive system on the passenger side, and the fan on the hitch end, the meter rolls must rotate ccw when viewed from the drive end of the meter roller shaft.

If you have the drive boxes on the drivers side, or for some reason the fan is on the rear of the machine, then they would rotate opposite.

Have your serial number handy as there are I think 3 serial breaks, but each should take the same rotation wrap spring. I just dont know whether you note the wrap spring rotation from the drive box or the meter.

As I recall, it was the way earlier flexicoils with the pyramid tanks or a rear mounted fan, that had the meter drives on the opposite side that took the opposite wrap spring. But confirm that before believing it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had this same issue with our early model 3450. The back tank kept on destroying wrap spring clutches until i switched it to a left hand rotation spring. It has been a couple of years but to tell the difference i had to have both clutches infront of me and compare the number of wraps on the spring. The left hand spring had one less wrap. it was really confusing cause the spring itself looked like it was still wound the the same was as the right hand spring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I turn the crank the front roller goes clockwise and the rear roller goes counter clockwise. The parts book even says there is one of each ccw and cw. When I took the clutch apart in on the roller that goes clockwise the spring was wrapped the wrong way. I think. this is a very confusing setup.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
My comment comes from one of owning a JD version of the 2320 tank, a tow between model. I've never had reason to ever touch one of the meter drive boxes so I've never seen the parts that they contain unfortunately but just now I went out to the shed to confirm what I already suspected in the direction the feed rollers turn. BOTH front and rear main compartment ( this also has the third tank on the front which is a separate issue ) rollers turn counter clockwise. It doesn't matter which way the crank is turned as its changed into a back and forth motion regardless so the output direction remains CCW. So with the main rollers, the product is fed out their bottom sides so to speak where the wear strip is attached to the detachable swing down part of the housing that holds the meters in place. So if you have one that is turning the wrong way so that the product would dump over the top of the metering roller as it comes out of the tank and falls into the manifold, then that would be the drive box to correct the problem to have it turn in the proper direction.

By the way, the metering drive system is on the right hand side of the tow between tank as one faces forward in the direction of travel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got my hands on a service manual today and it contained all the ifo I needed. When working on these meter drive boxes some of the parts called for a clockwise or counterclockwise part. Here is a list of what direction each box runs.

Model Front Middle rear

30 series ccw cw
20 series cw ccw
1300 plus cw cw
40 series ccw cw
2640 cw ccw cw
50 series cw cw cw

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.