The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Flexicoil is sold under the New Holland name. Maybe your local New Holland dealer might be able to source or do a parts search for you. I think you may have a hard time finding parts. They have not been made for many years even though people liked using them.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think parts are available any longer. Send a PM to BrianTee. He uses this treater and was looking into parts and also the possibility of maybe 3D printing parts for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you can get the cyclones/ mixing chamber. But I've not been able to find the tops. And I think they are about to discontinue the mixing chambers. They were 45 buck now they have gone to 95 and Only had 11 in inventory. So I have gone to plastic welding them up as and using them as long as possible

My electric drive to the pump quit a few years back so I rigged up a Rawson drive for it. No where as simple as the factor setup was. But I could not get parts for it.

Love the treater works great

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
BrianTee has to many pm cannot accept anymore.

Oh seeding, such a busy time. What is wrong with your caps? I bet its where the little elbow screws in. Just put a small gear clamp around them and then make a pyramid of silicone to stabilize them. I'll take a pic tomorrow morning and post on twitter.

If you can buy a couple - even for 100 bucks a piece - do so. have a buddy in southern Alberta who doesn't use the mixing chambers at all. He welded 1/4" nipples into the steel primaries and just dumps the liquid straight in the primary lines. Says it works great! An option for sure, way less fan required as well.

The peristaltic pump cover we had 3D printed worked perfectly so that is not an issue either. Still absolutely mind boggling no company has made a treater to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
have a buddy in southern Alberta who doesn't use the mixing chambers at all. He welded 1/4" nipples into the steel primaries and just dumps the liquid straight in the primary lines. Says it works great! An option for sure, way less fan required as well.

Still absolutely mind boggling no company has made a treater to replace it.
Have also heard of eliminating cyclones and direct injection into tubes, not sure how coverage is but a lot of the treaters problems are eliminated.

Flexi-Coil had a next gen treater ready to go when CNH took over, my guess is it got buried in legal considerations Flexi-Coil never would have cared about, sometimes being a junior competitor is an advantage.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Have also heard of eliminating cyclones and direct injection into tubes, not sure how coverage is but a lot of the treaters problems are eliminated.

Wait, there are problems with the treater?

Carolinacat, definitely try the direct to primary method. We got a different cart this spring and was canbus VR so had no clutch signal for the treater. Seems the treater is old old school now. Dug thru the wiring in the control box and now control it directly using the section control from AgOpenGPS which also does the seed/fert control. It was around $7 for cart control and treater section control. An arduino and 2 relays.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I discarded the mixing chambers a couple of drills ago. IMO the treatment coverage by injecting directly into the primaries is at least as good as with using the mixing chambers, maybe even better. Originally I was going to install short lengths of auger flighting into the primaries, just beyond the injection point to give the grain a quick swirl to help mix with the treatment but found it wasn't really necessary. So much simpler doing it this way. Some of the advantages that come to mind are:

not having to clean the chambers periodically, although if the seed is very dusty or chaffy build up can occur in the boots

there is no seed lag especially when using reduced air flow like for canola and one can probably get away with less airflow in general without the chambers thus helping reduce seed bounce.

Manually shutting of the treater at the end of each pass got tired fast so I was able to hook into the remote implement switch which shuts it off when the implement is raised.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've already got everything made except for the 2 extra tops. I had plenty of extra cyclones never even though that the tops wouldn't be available. I think the hollow flighting idea would work that is about all the cyclones do is swirl it once. I saw a pic one time of a dimple tube and the ST injected into that. I thought that may had been there updated STU until I saw the paten filed for pic.

Also I've ran both flexi control unit the stand alone monitor and the flexi drill control. I preferred the standalone one the best. The on off switch was just a 12 volt signal I had tied in to a switch on the tool bar. Using on an sdx single disc. The optic sensor I think quit what all my testing led to anyway. That is why I quit using it and went to a Rawson drive to run the pump

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I discarded the mixing chambers a couple of drills ago. IMO the treatment coverage by injecting directly into the primaries is at least as good as with using the mixing chambers, maybe even better.
Do you use some kind of nozzle at the injection point? Does each run have it's own pump?

·
Registered
219 Posts
No extra injection nozzle Torriem because the pumps produce minimal pressure. They just dump into the primary. I was once told by a flexicoil engineer that by default the primary hoses cause the seed to swirl around as it passes through the length of the plastic hose. So that in itself helps the seed contact the treatment.

The pump that Flexicoil used on these treaters was capable of feeding up to 12 lines I think. Mine I use 8 of 12, one for each primary.

I too was lucky enough to get a stand alone monitor so that now I can continue to run the unit with pretty much any drill that uses multiple primary runs. My monitor gets its speed reading from a sensor which reads targets off of the ribs on one of the rear hubs of the tank. I just manipulated the speed cal so that the monitor reads the same speed as the drill.

Problem now is to get any more parts for the treater setup. I needed some of the flex tubing used by the pump but was told by our CNH parts department that they no longer can get any parts for the treaters. I ordered some of the tubing online from Cole Palmer, a medical supply company. The tubing arrived a few days after I finished seeding but fortunately I was able to get by with some used pieces. So a guy might have to get resourceful to continue using the unit in the future. Like making parts with 3D printing. Don't know much about it but that sounds pretty amazing!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Seems like it would be a fairly doable task to build a system from scratch. Really it's just a matter of a rate controller driving the peristaltic pump. And if the peristaltic pump was driven by a stepper motor it wouldn't even need PID. Just vary the RPM based on ground speed once the flow rate was calculated. Looks like for my drill a 200ml/minute pump would be sufficient.

I assume you set the rate to match the seeding rate so that the right number of litres goes with the right bushels of wheat? Can it work well down to 1 bu/ac seeding rates, such as for lentils? Does it work well across a variety of air velocities? How does it divide the flow to your 8 lines without pressure? In that picture are your tubes connecting into the underside of the main primaries?

·
Registered
219 Posts
In the stand alone monitor you would enter the bu/ac being seeded and liters/100lbs of treatment you require. So then the monitor will speed up or slow the pump to achieve the proper rate for your travel speed, just like the drill does with the meter rolls if you have variable rate that is. Quite frankly since the seeding rate and speed change very little one could almost get by with a constant rate pump, providing you could get the speed right to begin with. I use 14l/ 100 lbs rate which I vary very little from except maybe cold morning when the solution (mix of 1 part treatment to 1.5 parts water) is thicker. Haven't actually calibrated the unit in years, since the measuring device that was provided with the unit disintegrated with age. With my present drill it uses almost a whole tank or treatment solution to a seed tank fill. That's my check.

The pump has 12 individual lines. I wish I had time to get a picture, maybe tonight. Its very simple really. The above picture some how got turned in the posting process but the lines actually go into the side of the primary tubes. Tough to get a good picture with the drill folded up and put away for the season.

As far as rate I used to treat canola with a jumpstart like snake oil so it can work at pretty fine rates. Plus you will be diluting your treatment with water.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Same fellow that also ran the lines into primary, just ran about 10v to the motor ( a very long wire) and then the pump runs at a constant speed. He dilutes with water plus the innoc to be put on at the right rate at 6.5 mph.

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
Haven't actually calibrated the unit in years, since the measuring device that was provided with the unit disintegrated with age.
Ah, that clear plastic calibration tube, it was allergic to some of the very chemicals it was supposed to measure!

Always thought if you liked calculating and mixing for spraying you’d like the seed treater as well.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How do blockage monitors like the on board seed treaters? I would think the intelligent ag ones might gum up and the optical ones might not like it either. Don't know.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
How do blockage monitors like the on board seed treaters? I would think the intelligent ag ones might gum up and the optical ones might not like it either. Don't know.

We only innoculate with the treater since numerous tests have shown no response to seed treatments with a good rotation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts