The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a system 95 flexi coil harrow packer bar today 60 foot. I am starting to worry I might need a bigger tractor. I have a 4250 JD with duals and a 5088 IHC with 20.8 singles. Sandy soil small hills. What is the verdict?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
What size duals do you have and are they radials, also what if any fluid do you have. Is this a two wheel drive or MFWD unit ?

We used to pull a 50' set and at one time we tried using a 4430 with 18.4 x 38 bias duals with 75% fluid on the inside and it had an awful time of it depending on how the soil had been worked prior to going with it, it had really bad slippage and sucking up power like crazy because of it. Then some years later for the goal of pulling a larger box drill we put 20.8 x 38 radial duals on and had 50% fluid in all four tires. That made all the difference, even though the tractor was now a fair bit heavier, that size of tire and being a radial made it float across the ground and pulled 50 feet at a decent field speed. How it would have dealt with 60 feet, I don't know but I have a feeling that a 4250 has better grunt then the peeky power of the 4430. The type of soil you have and how deep you are preworking the land assuming you are will make a huge difference to how or if it will work as a unit like that on a very shallow worked soil where the packers and harrows don't sink in much pulls far easier.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I would say the only way you will know for sure is to try it out and lets say its not doing so well, you could drop off a packer and harrow section on either end to have 50 feet to experiment with although I realize you will end up with end wheel tracks in the dirt and not be able to reach that last bit to the edge of the field. But that would give you the opportunity to try 50 feet if the 60 just isn't working and decide at that point if you want to modify your unit by chopping it down permanently to a 50' unit. A neighbor of mine did that to a 50' by chopping it to 40' because he was pulling it behind a cultivator to match its width and the tractor power he had at the time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Our 7700 MFWD 125 hp pulled 40' no problem from 9mph down to around 5mph climbing very steep hills. Then we bought an 80 footer the 7700 could handle it on flat land in a pinch when the 4WDs were busy. I would think your tractors could handle 60' depending on your hills

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.