The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever converted a Flexicoil 2320 air cart mechanical drive to electric or hydraulic drive? If so how did you do it and where did you get the parts? I am very interested in doing this. TIA

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I've been considering a micro-trac "drill master" set up to do just that. A raven 660 or other dry compatible controller with an encoder can also do it, though the 660 can only read one encoder as far as I know.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just got done converting my ADX8120 cart. My cart is one revision newer than yours, but is pretty much the same thing.

Here is all the ground drive stuff I took off:

Here it is with all the new hydraulic drive gear on:

I have a Trimble FMX in my tractor to drive everything. I'm using Trimble rate control modules, Raven OmniSeed motors, and Raven PWM valves. I haven't seeded with it yet, but I will be in a month or so. I think it should work out really well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cool the pro 700 could be used without any issue.... would use ravens new ISO multi prouduct control node.... may as well use there valves and shaft encoder setups as well ...... tee In your hydraulics ..... break out the gas axe and get rid of the old ground drive stuff ..... followed by the hot glue gun and mount the new drives.... new node comes with magnetic mounts so that parts easy enough.... attach wires and hyd ... plug into ISO hitch plug on tractor,and you will be able to view it in the VT or isobus screen on the pro 700 for setup and cal.... the node can Handel 4 products so even if u had a 3 compartment tank no worries ...
could even pull liquid or nh3
Also with a task controller unlock on pro700 would do VR as well..

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool the pro 700 could be used without any issue.... would use ravens new ISO multi prouduct control node.... may as well use there valves and shaft encoder setups as well ...... tee In your hydraulics ..... break out the gas axe and get rid of the old ground drive stuff ..... followed by the hot glue gun and mount the new drives.... new node comes with magnetic mounts so that parts easy enough.... attach wires and hyd ... plug into ISO hitch plug on tractor,and you will be able to view it in the VT or isobus screen on the pro 700 for setup and cal.... the node can Handel 4 products so even if u had a 3 compartment tank no worries ...
could even pull liquid or nh3
Also with a task controller unlock on pro700 would do VR as well..
Do you have a link for these products? Looks very interesting.
Let's say I do this conversion, this will replace the drive mechanism but what about the shaft sensors, fan velocity, and fan rpm sensors. Did you replace them with something else as well?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shaft sensors should not matter to much I wouldn't think beacase as u would get off rate alarms.... would probably be somewhere in there to view some sort of rpm as it is .... fan speed probably a work around as well may have to replace the sensors with a raven one .... be a bit of cost involved but your cart would be good as good as new

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll look a little deeper into it if u want.....
How many compartment tank?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Velocity also would go unfortunately...... if a guy poked around may come up with velocity tie in somehow .... or IntelligentAg ag blockage would give velocity back in there system

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shaft sensors should not matter to much I wouldn't think beacase as u would get off rate alarms.... would probably be somewhere in there to view some sort of rpm as it is .... fan speed probably a work around as well may have to replace the sensors with a raven one .... be a bit of cost involved but your cart would be good as good as new

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll look a little deeper into it if u want.....
How many compartment tank?
That would be great. It's a 2 compartment tank.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stuff

That would be great. It's a 2 compartment tank.
Heya I dug up buncha info on the conversion we were chatting about... fired off few quick questions to raven just to make sure it's all good... waiting to here back .... but looks like it's a doable feat for sure..... few kinks to work out ..... hydro motors for the drives.... just need to source correct fit.... as the Omniseed ones they used in previous posts won't work for this application....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why hydraulic drive and not electric?
Will use electronic Pwm valves to open flow to hydraulic motors....Not aware of any electrical ISO motors that will fit this application... but sure would be open to ideas! As this kinda conversion will be definitely become more common as there displays die, VR comes more common practice and as the technology becomes more available....

Just think what farm or equipment dealership doesn't have a couple old tanks kicking around back that is ground drive ... that could be as good as a brand new one as far as vr capable... switch it into a fert speader and one time across the farm and she's paid for itself 3 times over based on custom ap rates I've seen around here...

Jamie

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Will use electronic Pwm valves to open flow to hydraulic motors....Not aware of any electrical ISO motors that will fit this application... but sure would be open to ideas! As this kinda conversion will be definitely become more common as there displays die, VR comes more common practice and as the technology becomes more available....

Just think what farm or equipment dealership doesn't have a couple old tanks kicking around back that is ground drive ... that could be as good as a brand new one as far as vr capable... switch it into a fert speader and one time across the farm and she's paid for itself 3 times over based on custom ap rates I've seen around here...

Jamie
I had reached out to a company not too long ago regarding their ag electric drive motors. When I'm at an actual computer I'll try find their name and post it.

I have a old ground drive I'd like to look at upgrading...probably won't happen, but I like to day dream.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Brushless & DC Gear Motors

I couldn't find the email...am thinking maybe I filled out a contact form on their website and hadn't heard back vs sending an email.

If I ever did do a conversion it was going to be controlled by a tablet that let me vary the rate by moving a slide or knob, complete custom setup-nothing that could do a variable rate map automaticly.

Not sure how plug and play something like this would be for a trimble or raven system...that said trimble/raven/ect doesn't make them, they order it...best bet would be to find an existing electric system and take part numbers off it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IntelligentAg is currently working on the system you are looking for... they had released it last year but were not happy with the results... are retesting it this spring .... Have to keep checking there website to see when it will be available for use...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I have been having loads of problems with my flexicoil controller and my rates. I have been looking to do this same thing to get a little more life out of my drill. I was just wondering what the cost was to do this? Thanks I've looked into intelligent Ag and have their blockage setup on my drill now to my knowledge they don't have anything yet but I missed the fall meeting due to late chickpea harvest

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2320 cart ready to convert I have the own and pump. I just did a 1910 which was simple. This 2320 roller set up doesn’t have a sprocket on the roller to drive from. It’s got the steel tube that goes into the shaft of the roller with a key or bolt to drive the roller. Was wondering if anyone has done a 2320 and if they just extended the original shaft of the roller out and got a sprocket on it or how anyone got hooked up to the hyd motor.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have a 2320 cart ready to convert I have the own and pump. I just did a 1910 which was simple. This 2320 roller set up doesn’t have a sprocket on the roller to drive from. It’s got the steel tube that goes into the shaft of the roller with a key or bolt to drive the roller. Was wondering if anyone has done a 2320 and if they just extended the original shaft of the roller out and got a sprocket on it or how anyone got hooked up to the hyd motor.
This is exactly what we did. It works perfectly. We run agleader and pwm valve from northern tool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Velocity also would go unfortunately...... if a guy poked around may come up with velocity tie in somehow .... or IntelligentAg ag blockage would give velocity back in there system
A few years ago I replaced all the shaft and fan sensors with a simple blockage monitor with 1 on each head.
I figured that seed flow was actually what I really needed to know. I now change the fan speed by setting the percent oil flow from the tractor, and can run it much slower as if it causes a blockage, I know straight away , even before it has fully blocked! Dial up a little more oil, and keep going.
Blockage monitor is 100 x better than any shaft sensors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts