The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Step 1. Trade it off. ;)
Not really, while not a picnic, it's quite doable.
Sledge, torch, patience and two people can handle it OK.

Don
X2

Replace all the pillow blocks, I listened to my dad and kept a few cause they looked good and just replaced the bearing inside them, needless to say 2 seasons later I realized I sould have replaced all of them.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
We used to use a pair of pallet forks, a bobcat, a blowtorch, 6 cans of wd-40, two or three strong backs and one rainy day. They suck. It's too bad because other than the backer bearings they are one **** of a drill.

·
Registered
114 Posts
any chance you are within driving distance to Georges Farm Center at Penhold? We did a couple our selves, tried at a couple other dealerships, major pain in the rear. Ended up taking the rest of the gangs up to georges set up farm west of penhold. they have a rack that they stand the gangs up in with a forklift with a platform and using a jackhammer to bust everything apart. worked like a charm, took three of us all day to do all bearings from a 40 footer but was the easiest way we could do it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am by Camrose so I am not too far from Penhold if indeed they have a system that works. I am getting the impression that it is a formidable task. Apparently someone by Viking has invented whatever it takes to do a packer in minutes but they will not share the info or do repair work because they want to sell their idea to Flexicoil who is apparently laughing it off. I guess the new machines have some no sieze type lubricant applied when installing and they are not a problem. Thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
I guess it would be well worth the time to call up the folks at George's and if they don't mind ,drive up there and check out their packer rack . Hoping it helps us with splitting our Deere packers . Rhino, glad to hear that someone finally clued in to the value of using copper coat when building equipment .

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you have a new 5000 take the outside wheels and spacer of the gangs put it back together with lots of anti sieze we did that ourself at the dealers shop during setup before the gangs where put on the drill it took aubout 3 1/2 hours whits 2 guys 51' drill.
some packers where rustet on the shaft on a brand new drill because the monkeys at the factory put everything together without grease
this will save you tons of trouble if you have to change bearings down the road

on older drill take the gang to georges

if your in a hurry or too far away from georges cut the pipecenter out of the packerwheel split it whith angle grinder after replacing bearing weld wheel back together not a fun job

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
the brains at deere have never heard of never seize either...i have had to cut some wheels off with a torch to get them apart...i did hear about soaking gang in water as well...never had time to try it though

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
I used several different lengths of pipe and used a 1" impact wrench to push the seized wheels off. Would backing the nuts off a bit and dragging the drill around a few hours loosen the wheels?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Big hammers, long bars and a torch will get it done but it will take more time than you plan for in my experience. it would have been great if flexi-coil would have put never seize on the gang shaft while they built the drill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
we built a press to get ours apart. it takes 3 guys on the bigger gangs. We also found that cracking the nuts loose and seeding for a few hours usually loosens the whole gang up and it will just slide apart. The last few gangs i had apart i put none greasable bearings in and never touched them again. The local flexcoil dealer were the ones that tols me to do that.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
we built a press to get ours apart. it takes 3 guys on the bigger gangs. We also found that cracking the nuts loose and seeding for a few hours usually loosens the whole gang up and it will just slide apart. The last few gangs i had apart i put none greasable bearings in and never touched them again. The local flexcoil dealer were the ones that tols me to do that.
the Best thing to do is trade it off...
second best is once you do get them apart and change them...use the heavy gang bearings Massey discers(36 and 360 discers) use.. never had to replace another bearing.
Just trade it off..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I used several different lengths of pipe and used a 1" impact wrench to push the seized wheels off. Would backing the nuts off a bit and dragging the drill around a few hours loosen the wheels?[/QUOTE]

^ This.

It has worked before. Also soaking them in water overnight can loosen all the rust up. Make sure you use the HEAVY DUTY bearing when you re-build, and lots of anti-seize!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yep northern farmer, I would love to trade it off !!! Just as soon as you give me the the winning numbers for this weeks 649 or LottoMax draw Hahahahahah !

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I've used the pallet fork system with sledge hammer, don't have access to jack hammer. It works on most but not all. Also have used two small jacks hooked up to porta power units, that works most of time also. Priced shafts, they were around a 100 dollars, so tough ones just took a cutting torch to. Spacers are also available. Remember our time is worth a little. After market pillar blocks and bearings, with triple seals are available. Use anti-seize when putting together. As far as trading it off its hard to beat a 5000 with 550 trips if properly maintained, have had mine for 15 years, just replaced blockage monitor with Ag Tron system. Industry still has some bugs to work out on independent opener assembly controlled by its own hydraulic cylinder

1 - 20 of 55 Posts